free website stats program FXR v FXDX | Harley Davidson Forums

FXR v FXDX

Stuarty

Has anyone moved from an FXR to a FXDX, or vice versa? Whats your thoughts on the comparison?

I need some guidance:)

Last edited:
Two different bikes completely. The FXR had a frame similar in design to the touring models with the "A" gusseting under the seat area and as such was a fantastic frame with little flex unlike the dynas of later years. Too bad they don't make them any longer.

I haven't changed from FXR to FXD, but I've had a '92 FXDC since '93. My buddy had a '93 FXRS(P?). His came with Q.D. windshield & bags,& was called a "convertable". I added same to mine. His bike was quicker handling than mine in curves. Mine seemed a little more stable on straights. His seat height was 1" less than mine, but seat was wider at front. I always liked his a bit better, until I did engine mods. FXR's were more popular, especially for hot rodding. I think the main reason H.D. discontinued them was the cost of assembly, the FXR frame style didn't lend itself to as much automated assembly as the FXD. FXR's used the touring primary set up (short case), and FXD's use softait primarys (long case). Gee, I sorta drifted away from your question didn't I? :31:

I bought my FXRS-SP in april of '86. I lost track of the mileage but it's well over 100K. Have had a dozen other Harleys but I'll ride this till the day I kill myself on it.......I evenn rteplaced the motor so the original would be preserved for when I restore to original condition. Right now it gas a 2002 softtail front end (Wide glide). That move ruined the handling so I'm ready to put the narrow glide and stock wheels back on.

Very difficult to improve on an FXR.:s

One of the best bikes they ever made.

I've just seen on CL a 1986 fxrs-con for $4300 33k miles w/ orig bags & shield.

Is that a good price? glider! one of best bikes?..... I have a '86 flhtc so the frame are duplicates with the flhtc maybe having added stress point added on. Forks/trees reversed, ect.

Is it a possible good buy? Pls tell me if maybe '86 is not good year - ad said only 1500 made of the ltd. Is that ad too much too believe??

Opp

It all depends on the condition of the bike that determines their value. Naturally a bike that has very low miles would bring more than a bike with high miles depending on the condition and what the market will bear.

The suggested retail that is used as a guide is $5625 for that bike.

Had an 85 FXRC, it runs circles around my 2000 FXDL which I lowered 1 1/2" trying to get it to handle as well as the FXR. A good FXR will serve you well.

howdy, read your post and got a question for ya, I have an 86 FXRS and love it except the spungy front end. Want to change out the front end for something more beefy. You said that switching out the front end to a wide glide messed up the handling?? thats what i am trying to determine before I make the switch. What do you think about going to fatter tubes and a midglide??

thanks

I have owned 3 FXR's.1994,1999 FXR3 and 2000 FXR4.I am still riding one a 2000 FXR4 CVO bike.My opinion,they don't get any better.The FXR4 is the best handling bike out of the 3 I owned

Back