free website stats program FXR Steering Head Bearing Lube | Harley Davidson Forums

FXR Steering Head Bearing Lube

rasfxrs

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for some time. I truely appreciate all of the knowledge I have gained on this site. I have searched and searched, but have found no previous threads that answer my question.

I have a low mileage 92 FXRS, which is due for a steering head bearing repack. The factory service manual indicates that my bike should have a grease zerk on the steering head, but of course it does not. I have no desire to disassemble the steering head to repack these bearing, if I can avoid it. Therefore, I am attempting to find a less labor-intensive solution. I have a few questions, and would like to get some opinions.

1. Has anyone found a trick for lubing the neck bearings on an FXR without full disaassembly?

2. With proper precautions to avoid getting any metal shavings inside the steering head, is it feasible to drill and tap the steering head for a grease zerk, or maybe just drill a tiny 1/16 or 3/32 inch hole to inject grease with a needle? If feasible, is there an optimum location for the hole?

3. Are there any open passages between the steering head/neck and the frame tubes (on a 92 FXRS), that would divert the injected grease into the frame tubes instead of to the steering head bearings?

I will be off-line over the weekend, but thanks for any replies in advance!

Generally the bikes without the zerks are the ones like yours and the dynas that have the frame tubes open to the steering head area and if you install a zerk to grease the bearings, you will fill the frame with a lot of grease without hitting the bearings. Best bet is to do it the right way and disassemble the front end.

I have a '92 FXRS that I bought new. It had a plug on the right side of the steering head. I replaced it with a zerk fitting and grease it every couple of years- 150,000 miles now, with no steering head problems.

My 92 FXRS does not have a plug on the steering head (as you described), so mine was probably an "early" 1992 model, before they incorporated the lube provisions. However, this does give me some hope that the steering head might be closed to the frame tubes. Axel, if it is not too much trouble, could you give me more specifics on the location of the plug/zerk on your 92 (or a picture), so I could match the factory hole location if I decide to drill the steering head.

Thanks for the replies!

My '92 had no grease zerk. There was a factory template that showed you where to drill and tap the steering head for the grease fitting. This template was later revised by the factory to move the zerk higher up on the steering head to better lube the top races.

The steering head is 7.25", zerk is 2.75" from the top on the left side.

Thanks Lucille! I appreciate the information! Sorry for the delayed response, but I have had some problems with logging onto this website.

don't know if this applies but on the 97 thru 2003 flsts springers one of the tricks to get the grease up to the top bearing is to find a nylon string or twine that you can wrap around the bottom of the steering head where the top of the fork pivot .the string is pulled into the gap between steering head and fork thus keeping the grease from exiting the bottom bearing first and forcing the grease upward into the top bearing.

If you do decide to drill and tap, keep both the drill and tap well coated with grease. This will capture all or most of metal shavings.

Back