free website stats program FXDWG Owners or techs, I Need an opinion here. | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDWG Owners or techs, I Need an opinion here.

00FXDWG

HELP!!! :panic I have 2000 Dyna Wide Glide with a set of V&H Big Shots if that makes a difference and have replaced the exhaust gaskets twice in the 4 or 5 years I've owned it. I have seen where folks say the crush gaskets are infamous for spring leaks. Getting monotonous having to replace these things. Also this time around I noticed some play on the front pipe at the manifold and the bolts are as tight as I dare to get them. So anyway I saw these 640B11003 Centauro Gaskets in a search for maybe a better replacement gasket. Question is, has anyone here used these and are they worth a rip? Or am I doing something wrong installing gaskets? The description is as follows....... "Special construction, spiral wound stainless steel make these the best exhaust gaskets for high performance Evolution motors
Sold in pairs
Fits 84-99 Evolution; 99-07 Twin Cam"

Heres the link...... Biker's Choice Exhaust Flange Gaskets by Centauro Gaskets - 640B11003 - Cheap Cycle Parts

Have you been using after market gaskets all along? If so go back to OEM H D ones replace the studs use new nuts and lock washers tighten evenly to 10 ft lbs and forget it:s Check all exhaust hangars make sure they are not broken

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I've been using the OEM HD gaskets. That's why I wondered about using these others gaskets. I guess I can try new studs and bolts and see what happens. I hate to try and replace the studs myself though. I don't want to booger up the threads and all, and lord knows I'm prone to the error side of trial and error lol. Thanks guys.

Maybe your header clips are bent and not putting enough pressure on the gasket. I turned mine around one time because they were dished and it worked. They are cheap, but it's a lot of work to r&r the whole system. Also you could try putting a few extra washers on the studs to put more force on the flange. You already know not to crank down real hard on those studs. Just about the worst place to snap a stud.

Exhaust Port Retaining Ring For Harley-Davidson OEM# 65325-83 | eBay

Ok, well my friend and I pulled off the pipes and found the problem. The ring that is pressed on the end of the pipe had come loose preventing the pipe from seating up causing the leak and rattle I was getting. So I had the ring tac welded on and now we have no rattle, no leak! Problem solved.......for now. Thanks for the tips though guys. Knowledge is power.

Back