free website stats program FXDL battery carrier tray bracket-lower | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDL battery carrier tray bracket-lower

flyin64

Does anyone know if the nut for the lower bolt is tac welded to the bike?

I recently removed the battery for replacement and the nut came off with the bolt but the space is real tight behind the bracket to return it to reinstall. I suspect the nut was permanantly fastened to the bike and only the bolt is removed or loosened to drop the carrier tray.

The service book shows the bolt but not the nut as part of the assembly.

thanks friends

Does anyone know if the nut for the lower bolt is tac welded to the bike?

I recently removed the battery for replacement and the nut came off with the bolt but the space is real tight behind the bracket to return it to reinstall. I suspect the nut was permanantly fastened to the bike and only the bolt is removed or loosened to drop the carrier tray.

The service book shows the bolt but not the nut as part of the assembly.

thanks friends

On my '91 Dyna, the nut is welded to the battery tray. The bolt goes through that tube and pulls the tray up into position. The two bolts on the left side secure it in that location. Check this (the #2, 4, 5, 7 stuff):

BATTERY TRAY - 1996 Harley Davidson FXDS-CON

TQ

thanks-#2 and the nut popped off the back of the tray. its either fitting a nut (skinny & strong) behind the bracket, removing the bracket to tac weld a new nut OR a new tray

i have the same pic in my book but it doesnt show how close it is in there. my gut says take the tray out to work on it.

thanks a lot for responding

If that vertical bolt is off, then the only things holding the tray in place are the bolts on the left. I suggest slowly easing them loose (not out) while supporting the tray with the other hand. Lower it down all the way, and then take the battery out. At that point, you can remove the bolts and take the tray out to work on it. On my bike, the horn is attached to this thing so you will have to unplug that to get the tray out.

TQ

Back