free website stats program FXDF prmary noise | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDF prmary noise

Long time lurker and avid tech tip reader here.

Question: Does the Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment really work? Going to try tomorrow if we don't get too much rain. 1400 miles and getting sick of the clunk/slap/tap noise that occurs from being in the wrong gear all of the time. Maybe I'm just heavy...........

First Harley, and not use to all the noises. Thanks!

Yea, I try not to lug it much and it does go away with a quick down shift. The gear ratios seem off to me. Say I'm in 3rd and it sounds/feels like I need to shift. When I shift into 4th it makes that sound, and when I click it back down into 3rd it feels revvy.

By the way, when all of this is happening, my buddy on his 09 RK is cruising along lugging in 5th making no noise at all except the wine of his tranny, and he is definitely lugging his. Thanks!

Thanks man, that tip really does work! My bike is waay quieter and a pleasure to ride now. I can even ride a gear higher with no slap sound. It took me 4 runs to make it work. These bikes and their quirks can keep a guy up late with hot sweats. Never new owning a new Harley messed with ya so mentally with all their noises. I actually had to take a xanax after reading the whole TC 96 crank run out articles. Had to get out and put 80 miles on her tonight. Feel a lot better now!:D

... Quick tip - go find the rpm limiter in 3rd - this is set at 5500rpms this will allow you to hear when to correctly shift as you will hear the motors engine note and differences between lugging and what you perceive as 'over revving' - the limiter STOPS you over revving so when you think its revvy it aint

Good advice for me, a onetime higher-revving 4 cyl rider. I need to hear the right rpm on my ride. Going to do it tomorrow, in fact.

Back