free website stats program FXD will not move | Harley Davidson Forums

FXD will not move

1toolman

My FXD and I were out riding when I strted hearing a winding sound and I lost power. I took the primary cover off so I could inspect the clutch. I replaced the clutch plates and friction plates and I still have the winding sound. I was told to put the bike in gear without the motor running and to push the bike to see if the primary chain was moving. I was told if it does not move that the trans main shaft is broke. Is this true and how much is it going to cost me to get it fixed?

My FXD and I were out riding when I strted hearing a winding sound and I lost power. I took the primary cover off so I could inspect the clutch. I replaced the clutch plates and friction plates and I still have the winding sound. I was told to put the bike in gear without the motor running and to push the bike to see if the primary chain was moving. I was told if it does not move that the trans main shaft is broke. Is this true and how much is it going to cost me to get it fixed?

Welcome to the forum toolman. I think we need more info to be helpful. What year, what happens when you move the rear wheel when it's in gear? What happens when you let the clutch out when running? My first thought when you say winding sound (like a racheting click?), is the front belt drive pully stripped/came loose. Not uncommon with evo transmissions of the early to mid 90's.

Welcome to the forum toolman. I think we need more info to be helpful. What year, what happens when you move the rear wheel when it's in gear? What happens when you let the clutch out when running? My first thought when you say winding sound (like a racheting click?), is the front belt drive pully stripped/came loose. Not uncommon with evo transmissions of the early to mid 90's.

Agree with Breeze here, depending on what year the bike is the Evos did have problems with the mainshaft, and the pulley working loose

The meganut on my 94 dyna manage to loosen up a wee bit and slip past the locking washer however didnt get right loose just noticed all the corners worn on the nut where the locking washer bears on it
so get the back wheel turning and see where the drive stops transmitting and take it from there

Brian

had the trans sprocket nut come loose on my '74. brand new trans. downshifted and the mainshaft jacked itself into the kicker gears. ruined my day.

Back