free website stats program fxd forks are riding low | Harley Davidson Forums

fxd forks are riding low

mikem12

I have owned this bike since new. I noticed the fork seem to be riding lower and I occasionally bottom out. I am looking to find out if there is an adjustment on spring tension or would it be better to go go progressive springs for more travel control. I am only gettnig about 3" of travel. But when the bike is stationary the look ok. I am jut not sure how to disassemble or if I need special tools.

any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Mike

If front has never been changed when was the last time the fork oil changed????

Here is some info on fork oil.
Harley Davidson Community

I would agree with dbmg. Do you have any oil on forks (fork seals leaking??)
I'd say to get a HD service manual for your bike. Pays for itself many.many,many,many times over. Bunch of you tube video's on fork work as well. Look in self help section of the forum for info as well (also on home page).

Welcome to the forum.

I'd like to mention also that Harley manual says 50k before changing fork oil, but I pulled mine to put some thicker stuff in at 7k, and that crap was almost BLACK!!! While I was at it, I put 5/8" pvc slugs over the springs to lessen diving (boy, if you thought it was hard to get the caps on before...)
At this time I'm running 2" over fork legs and tins, and saving for the Intimiinators: not one bad reviiew on them!

Back