free website stats program Fuse blown, short, bad regulator? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuse blown, short, bad regulator?

garcialaw

Today, among other service items, I had my local mechanic build a pigtail connector to light my tourpak runninglights (I have no others on it). the bike harness ended in three wire connector, tourpak lights had two wire connector. When I got the bike back, the voltage gauge indicated just over 14 when it hardly used to get over 12 to roughly 13. Then it began to drop to nothing quickly and go pack to 14 this continued to happen periodically while riding and I took it to him. He said the regulator was causing it due to his leaving lighting on while working for over an hour. and it should stop after a short while riding. but we did unplug the tourpak from his pigtail and it still did it while idling. It stopped the jump after 15 to 20 min ride. Not until later did I notice I have no lights at all except turn signals. haven't checked fuses, regulator or for shorts yet. Any ideas? This is a 92 electra glide Ultra that I have had for a few weeks.

Welcome Garcialaw to the HDTimeline forum. First thing to check is the wiring "mod" the mechanic did. Did he do ANY cutting or splicing...it should be unnecessary to do so, and could introduce a plethora of variables, besides a blown fuse.

There is an HD wiring harness kit that allows you to do the deed without and cutting or splicing. Also might want to check that wire that runs under the fender for running the taillight and turnsignals.

Any miswire, insulation cut due to tire "snagging" or unintentional ground of that wiring under there can blow the fuse, and if his mods were not fused, cook a wire/connector to be sure.

Thanks for the input! I hate electrical and am dreading looking into this but figure I should start there to determine if he did anything wrong. When he informed me that he made the pigtail, he said the connector ends came off of a harness from a dyna glide and he had to solder one of the connectors onto the wires. He said he then wrapped the wires individually with electrical tape which I will check that nothing there is causing grounding. The pigtail comes straight out of the bottom of the tourpak to the connection under the seat without going near the tire, but will check for tire rub on wires that are under the fender.

Garcialaw, don't know if this will help, it is a schematic that should be close enough to help you I think...keep in touch as how you are doing...:s

1991-93_FLSTC_919.gif

1988-9_key_for_889_and_919.gif

Last edited:
I hate electrical. Looked for fuses, with Clymer and found nothing. I must be dense because it appears this bike has no fuse or relay or breaker or anything. Frustrated. Took it to the mechanic and simply said call me when fixed. Thanks for all the help though! I just don't grasp electrical.

For splicing/repairing wires heat shrinkable tubing always is a better way to go for covering the wires than tape is, many of your auto parts stores and Radio Shack outlets cary it. Neater too..

I got frustrated. Well, the mechanic fixed it since I couldn't find any fuses, relays or breakers behind the side covers as the repair manual generically indicated. He found four resetable circuit breakers behind the headlight; there are also two more and a couple of relays and inlines behind the left cover (I must be so blind). Also, his pigtail crossed the hot and ground so it tripped the lights breaker and the lights pulled too much load for the 15 amp so he changed it to 20 amp. Now all my lights work fine; and the voltage gauge is working like it did before, which means that it only charges near 14 by the gauge when reving near 3K rpm, otherwise it registers 10 at idle to 12 at low rpm. I wonder if that is a sign my regulator has issues.

Back