free website stats program Fuelpak problems on a 2007 Police Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuelpak problems on a 2007 Police Road King

I have a 2007 Road King Police with a P103ci, bought it new with a Stage 1 d/l, Hiflow A/C and SE Street Performers. The ACR heads had not been installed.
I had two things done last month:
1) I had a V&H Fuelpak installed - had to contact V&H to get the proper map numbers. And the bike ran very good- plenty of power.
2) one day prior to expiration of factory warranty, I had the ACR heads installed. The front cylinder would not hold compression and upon further investigation the HD tech found a scored front jug. Needless to say, I received a complete new top end covered by warranty.

So, 285 miles or so on the new top end I started getting a clattering or knocking sound when I accelerated. Back to the dealer it went. Today I picked the bike up and was told the ECM module had failed and was holding the front ACR open slightly.
I was also told that if I continued to run the Fuelpak, that any future warrant (I bought the extended warrant) would not cover ECM replacement.

I just spent $450 getting a RT with a stage1 d/l.

The bike still doesn't have the power as it did with the Fuelpak.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations on what I should do next?
Anyone had simmilar problems.

HELP!

Hate to tell you this but your probably going to have it dynoed and a custom map done.On the plus side you could see gains of up to 10hp with the custom map as well as increase in torque.It will cost you depending on the dealer up to $250 to get this done.

Hate to tell you this but your probably going to have it dynoed and a custom map done.On the plus side you could see gains of up to 10hp with the custom map as well as increase in torque.It will cost you depending on the dealer up to $250 to get this done.

That's pretty much what I figured - and the cost is going to be more around $400+ (cost of the Dyno +M labor at $85/hr)

You might want to check around some other dealers on that pricing because when i had mine done it was $250 and included the custom map.

I have a 2007 Road King Police with a P103ci, bought it new with a Stage 1 d/l, Hiflow A/C and SE Street Performers. The ACR heads had not been installed.
I had two things done last month:
1) I had a V&H Fuelpak installed - had to contact V&H to get the proper map numbers. And the bike ran very good- plenty of power.
2) one day prior to expiration of factory warranty, I had the ACR heads installed. The front cylinder would not hold compression and upon further investigation the HD tech found a scored front jug. Needless to say, I received a complete new top end covered by warranty.

So, 285 miles or so on the new top end I started getting a clattering or knocking sound when I accelerated. Back to the dealer it went. Today I picked the bike up and was told the ECM module had failed and was holding the front ACR open slightly.
I was also told that if I continued to run the Fuelpak, that any future warrant (I bought the extended warrant) would not cover ECM replacement.

I just spent $450 getting a RT with a stage1 d/l.

The bike still doesn't have the power as it did with the Fuelpak.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations on what I should do next?
Anyone had simmilar problems.

HELP!

To me it sounds like the dealer hosed you big time . If it was running strong prior to the heads being installed, why would it run poorly after the heads are installed IF indeed you had a scored cylinder? Food for thought, then they discover a bad ECM and charge you for it even thou it ran good before ? Something doesn't sound right here. Next they pull the warranty issue with the fuel pack and sell you a SERT ? :52: By their thinking they SERT should void your extended warranty too, Ask them if they dynoed the bike or gave you a canned map for the SERT. Installing a SERT and tuning it properly should run in the area of $1000+ to do it properly.
Next you said "I just spent $450 getting a RT with a stage1 d/l." This sounds like a canned map instead of a dyno tune and the possible reason for the noticable performance loss.

JMHO

I wouldn't use that dealer any longer.

Last edited:
I now have a Race Tuner with the Stage 1 download the dealer installed.
Am I correct that SERT = Screaming Eagle Race Tuner
The tech atthe dealer told me that I can't do anything with the race tuner - all maps have to be done by dealer and if I want better performance I need to have it Dyno'd

To me it sounds like the dealer hosed you big time . If it was running strong prior to the heads being installed, why would it run poorly after the heads are installed IF indeed you had a scored cylinder? Food for thought, then they discover a bad ECM and charge you for it even thou it ran good before ? Something doesn't sound right here. Next they pull the warranty issue with the fuel pack and sell you a SERT ? :52: By their thinking they SERT should void your extended warranty too, Ask them if they dynoed the bike or gave you a canned map for the SERT. Installing a SERT and tuning it properly should run in the area of $1000+ to do it properly.
Next you said "I just spent $450 getting a RT with a stage1 d/l." This sounds like a canned map instead of a dyno tune and the possible reason for the noticable performance loss.

JMHO

I haven't had a Dyno done yet but I've checked two dealers in the area and $450- 475 is what they charge - the third dealer in the immediate are I ill not take anything to them (bad rep).
The SERT and S1 download is canned map - so with the $450 spent already on the Race Tuner and d'load and the upcomming Dyno ($475) - that pretty much insures a custom map and a total of approx $900 - 1000 for the lot.

Do I have to use the dealer to tweek the mapping?
I never had to do anything like this when I ran my old shovels.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) If it was running strong prior to the heads being installed, why would it run poorly after the heads are installed IF indeed you had a scored cylinder?

2) then they discover a bad ECM and charge you for it even thou it ran good before ?

3) Next they pull the warranty issue with the fuel pack and sell you a SERT ? :52:

4) Ask them if they dynoed the bike or gave you a canned map for the SERT.

5) Installing a SERT and tuning it properly should run in the area of $1000+ to do it properly.

6) Next you said "I just spent $450 getting a RT with a stage1 d/l." This sounds like a canned map instead of a dyno tune and the possible reason for the noticable performance loss.

JMHO

1) It ran strong with the Fuelpak on it. Then had the ACR heads installed- After the new heads were installed it wouldn't idle right with a slight clatter when you racked the pipes a little (3-4K RPM)
Eventually found the front jug was not holding commpression - scored jug.
Warranty replacement of the entire top end followed.
When I picked up the bike, I told the serv mgr that it just didn't sound quite right to which he replies "Remember, you have to break-in the new rings (500miles)."
So, first 50 miles or so was in town. Next 230 miles or so was highway speeds. During the highway trip I noticed an occassional knock or clatter.
The forth day I rode to work with no probs. At lunch a got on the freeway and the clatter or knocking became regular on acceleration.
Boy was I imbarassed going down the freeway at 50 :8:
The shop was on the way so I droped it off again.
No knocking when you just racked the pipes but was there on acceration when on the street.

2) After extinsive testing and troubleshooting, almost a week, they discovered the ECM had a faulty ground and replaced it under warranty.

3) That is correct

4) They said a Dyno would take 3-4 hours so I didn't have one done then - Yes it is a canned map with the SERT

5) Lets see - $450 for the canned map and SERT
+ $475 for a Dyno - yep, that's pretty close to a $1000

6) Yes - see #4

Now let me clarify a little - the tech told me that if I reinstall the Fuelpak and I had future problems with the new ECM, the ECM would not be replaced even under the extended warraty.

So it looks as if I don't want to encur possible future costs should my scoot break down again, I have to play by the dealers (H-Ds) rules. I can pay now or pay later.
And the dealer I go to, they're prices are in line with the other dealers in the area.

On another note - what about the Thundermax Auto tune ECM
Any uplifting word about them and the costs/troubles/remedies with them?

You may want to see if there are any local speed shops in your area with a dyno and someone who can tune SERTS.I just contacted my mechanic and he could not believe what he was hearing.The other thing that is bothersome is that you would not need the stage one download since you went with the SERT.Find yourself another dealer.

Back