free website stats program Fuelpak or PCIII | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuelpak or PCIII

kardar

I know this may have been discussed a million times and I have been going through the archives for last couple of weeks, but the more I read through the more questions come to my mind.

I bought a 2002 Heritage Softail Classic FLSTCI. Previous owner has changed the pipes to V&H Longshots & put K&N Filter on but no changes to the ECM. The dealer suggested a Fuelpak instead of a Stage1 upgrade or PCIII.

The first dumb questions I have is the why do we need to dyno test the bike after a PCIII install and not after a Fuelpak. Shouldn't it be the other way around since PCIII is more advanced than Fuelpak.

Second question is which one would you get if you were in the similar situation. The engine on my bike is stock.
Some points to consider.
1. I am not too crazy about horse power/torque. With two kids and a wife to feed (well ok I am cheap), fuel consumption is my first consideration.
2. Working with computers is not a problem for me as may be the case for PCIII setup.

Please help
Regards,
Kardar

You do NOT need to dyno with the PC III unless you are tweaking for optimal performance. Downloading one of the maps that is similar to your configuration will work just fine. And, if you're handy with computers, you can tweak it on your own if you have any minor issues like decel popping, hesitation, etc.

Now Glider will weigh in with why you shouldn't go with the PC III.:D

Thank you Sharky
I have read that decel pop etc. are very common issues with Fuelpak as you don't have "more indepth" control over the settings and was concerned about it.

Now my question is how do we define optimal performance.
If after the PCIII install my bike runs ok, I am getting good gas mileage but once in a while bike sounds like it is farting or hesitating (in technical terms you may call this decel pop), I don't want that.
Now I do understant that nothing works perfect in first go and there may be some minor adjustments needed in the begining and I am OK with that. But I don't want to tinker with the thing every time I want to ride, which is daily.
Sorry for asking so many questions, I do appriciate your patience.

Kardar

If you haven't already done so, check out the info found here:

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

Based on what you say in your posts, it looks like you are looking for a simple fuel manager that allows you to set it and forget it! See the info here on the TFI. As a HDTimeline member you get $10 off and free shipping. I got mine in the mail yesterday, but am doing a roller chain conversion and don't want to pay the Dealership for another lean download.

If you are set on the PC III, check out pricing with this bunch:

Dynojet Power Commander III USB - Motorcycle Superstore

TQ

Last edited:
Thank you Sharky
I have read that decel pop etc. are very common issues with Fuelpak as you don't have "more indepth" control over the settings and was concerned about it.

Now my question is how do we define optimal performance.
If after the PCIII install my bike runs ok, I am getting good gas mileage but once in a while bike sounds like it is farting or hesitating (in technical terms you may call this decel pop), I don't want that.
Now I do understant that nothing works perfect in first go and there may be some minor adjustments needed in the begining and I am OK with that. But I don't want to tinker with the thing every time I want to ride, which is daily.
Sorry for asking so many questions, I do appriciate your patience.

Kardar

Chances are the map that you install will work just fine with no adjustments on the PC III. If, however, you experienced decel popping for example, a simple trip to your computer and a one-time tweak would likely fix it. You wouldn't have to change again unless you changed something else related to engine performance.

Personally, I like having the ability to fine tune (with or without a dyno.) Others are big fans of TFI. At the end of the day it's a personal choice.

I have had both. Nothing wrong withe fuelpak if you are gonna cruise around. But if it is performance you want the PC III USB is MUCH better. The PC III wil ever improve your stock setup dramatically. Better throttle response, better gas mileage, cooler running engine. PC III is also plug and play, just tell them what you are running when you order it and it comes pre programmmed. Then it can be programmed by any dyno shop or yourself if you make changes later.

I have a Fuelpak and am very happy with it. It was cheaper than the PCIII and did exactly what I needed it to do without dynoing. However, if I had to make the choice again, I would pick the TFI. There are way too many people on this site with significantly more knowledge than I have that would tell you to go with a TFI. If you read up on it, you'll find that for the price you'll get a user friendly fueler that's easy to adjust, fairly easy to install and doesn't require a dyno (which saves you about $400).

Back