free website stats program Fuel Tank Trim Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Tank Trim Removal

Sharky1948

I would like to remove the trim on the top of my '07 1200C fuel tank. If I'm not mistaken, it is held on by adhesive and can be removed by the "floss and WD-40" method. Is that correct?

Also, if I remove it, will the area around the gas cap be "finished", meaning look good without further modification?

Thanks!!!

Hey guys,

kind of along these lines I would like to remove the "Sportster" decal on my tank... I just think the design\font looks too... hmmm... I dont like it. I keep envisioning my bike without that decal and dig it... it would look much more "old school" and vintage rather than Xtreme.

Looks like the decal is sealed over with the tank's final clear coat... which Id have to basically repaint the tank then if i removed it.

Is this the case or can I break out the hairdryer "heat it and remove it" technique?

thanks!

Usually the decals are cleared over. If you look carefully at the edge of the decal, you should be abler to determine if this is the case, most if not all are cleared over.

Why not put RK trim on the tank? :lolrolling

You're relentless! I'll get the whole blessed RKC with the 110 upgrade one of these days!

BTW, tank is clean now. Only problem is the gas cap is loose since it doesn't have the plastic seat to tighten up against. I'll see if it rattles when I go out this evening.

Last edited:
Took your advice Glider and removed the decals for my FatBob's Tank. I have the black denium and the glue came right off using WD40 and a hairdyer. No scratches. Looks great. I had to get up enough nerve to try and did. Thanks again for your advice.

Back