free website stats program Fuel Tank Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Tank Removal

glider.

BOT Machine
This will give you a guide to removing the tank. Different models will have some different procedures but this should help until you get the service manual which I suggest everyone has for their particular model.

1 With the bike running, pull the fuel pump fuse until the bike stalls or remove the fuse and crank the bike. The gas is under pressure and will spray all over if you don't do this. Disconnect the battery after removing the seat.
2 Drain the tank by disconnecting one side of the cross-over hose, plugging the end of the hose and putting a length of tubing over the exposed nipple with a plug in it. If you have the newer style with no crossover, then you have to siphon the fuel out.
3 Remove the console and disconnect the electrical fittings.
4 Remove the fuel line by pulling up on the fitting at the tank and disconnecting the fuel line. It works like a compressed air fitting.
5 Remove the tank fasteners at the end of the tank by the seat.
6 Remove the fasteners at the front of the tank.
7 Lift up the tank slightly to disconnect the electrical connector under the tank.
8 Carefully remove tank.
Reverse the procedure to reinstall and check for any leaks when you are done.

Also see this post...

EFI Fuel Line Removal - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks for the list. I followed your directions and was able to pull the tank to run GPS power and an audio cable. It was a nice and clean install along the frame to under the seat.

Great post. Followed step by step on 2010 Ultra just a few new issues. On the 2010 Ultra there are no electrical connections on the bottom of the tank. All connections are on the top under the console. The tank is tough to siphon out because of the fuel pump and level float. Started with an 1/8 full tank and ended up that way. Just replace the fuel cap after lifting off the console and there are no issues with fuel leakage.

No electrical connection beneath the tank on the 08 SG either. Simple job that everyone should know how to do. I didnt drain my tank either. I only had about a gallon in it though. No leakage.

Ok I guess I am a picture kind of person. Are their any photos to go along with this Removal of the Fuel Tank? I know there are all types. Just thought I would give it a shot.

Back