free website stats program Fuel Tank quick release O-RING | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Tank quick release O-RING

Ride_Free_HD

All,
New member here. Howdy
2016 RoadKing, Crimson Red and Chrome cruiser- love it!

Anyway, after this cold winter in my garage it started leaking from both the fuel line and after replacing that fuel line (which due to LGB America they are on backorder and I had to buy the4 fuel line in another State) I found out the fuel tank O-ring is -also- busted / leaking.

I found this old thread here.. full credit to Pan Head Andy member here.
>
Just for everyone's info.If you call Harley they will tell you thats not a repairable part and you have to buy a new tank fitting.That is false.Inside the fitting are two o rings.The bottom one is the one that starts leaking.The top one rarely needs replacing as it just holds the barb inside the fitting.They can be purchased from McMaster.Just do a search for McMasterThe McMaster part number is -905.The o ring deminsions are inside .414 outside .558 with a thickness of .072 If your on the road and it starts leaking an emergency fix is to go to an auto parts store and get an o ring that just fits into the bore of the female tank fitting.Leave the old o ring in place and add the new o ring.Use the male part of the fitting to shove the new ring into place.It will hold til you can replace the factory o ring with the right one.When you replace the original o ring be very careful to get all of the old one out of the groove.
<

Does anyone have a video or have experience ordering the o-ring above, installing it on their ride and having success?
note: I found the part on McMaster (thank you Andy!!) and am going to try it out but am hoping that I can call on HD members here who may have covered this ground already.
McMaster -905 aka #1201T293/

The last thing I want to do it get back on the road and start pissing fuel. or worse.

Thanks all!

Thanks all- glad to be here. I'll hit up the Tubes, order, work the problem, and report back. Hoping to get back on the road without removing the tank. Have a good 'un.

Back