free website stats program Fuel Sending Unit - FI or Carb - Does it Matter? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Sending Unit - FI or Carb - Does it Matter?

Just got my '95 Electra-Glide started after about 8 years of neglect. The gas tank was totally trashed. Cleaned, relined the tank and replaced the fuel filter, pump and lines. But, the fuel sending unit isn't registering - shows empty. The half-moon resistor (not sure if that's the name) shows no resistance regardless of the position of the float. I'm bidding on a used unit off a '99 FL on ebay. It's off a carburator model but the float and plastic part had holds the resistor piece looks identical to mine. My bike is a fuel injected model. Can't imagine that FI or Carb makes a difference on a fuel sending unit. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks - Joe

Joe; I just did a quick search on Bike Bandit, and the fuel sending units have a different part # for '95 Inj. and '99 carb. '99 inj. sending unit is same as '95. Bike bandit is an aftermarket supplier, but their parts lists are usually accurate. I would have thought the senders were the same.
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU-I Parts, 1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU-I OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

1999 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU-I Parts, 1999 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU-I OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

1999 Harley-Davidson FLHTC Parts, 1999 Harley-Davidson FLHTC OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

I hope this helps you. And THANK YOU for your service.

I just noticed, I was looking up sending units, not the resistors!! I hate when I do that.

Last edited:
Breeze3at - Thanks for the info and the compliment. Harley doesn't sell the plastic encased resistor separate. Gotta buy the whole sending unit. Since the plastic part and the float looks the same on both models, I was going to take it off (brass rivets) and just use it. The bracket is the big difference. I just can't imagine the brain cares about the fuel delivery system (FI or Carb) when it comes to this relatively simple little part. Harley wants $115 for a new one. I figure if I get it for $25 on ebay and it works, I'm a hero in the significant others eyes. Joe

Back