free website stats program Fuel running out of carburator | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel running out of carburator

scottaudio

I have a strange situation that just happened with my 2006 XL1200C today. I had the tank off to add a couple of extra items (a radio and clock), and upon re-assembly of the bike, now when I start the engine, there is fuel running out of a small opening of the carburator into my SE air cleaner.

If you look at the carburator with the air cleaner off, there is a hole at about 10:30 to 11 o'clock around the outside of the venturi hole through the air cleaner mounting plate. The gas is pumping out with the engine running, and the bike won't idle now.

I've obviously screwed something up, and any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Fuel running out of carburator---update

Now I see that not only is fuel coming out that little hole directly inside the air cleaner, but it is also running out of the overflow line from the bottom of the carb. No choke needed to start right now!

I didn't even touch the carburator..only the fuel line and vacuum line on the fuel petcock, and the tank vent on the other side to remove the tank.

As before, any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Steve Scott

Re: Fuel running out of carburator---update

Now I see that not only is fuel coming out that little hole directly inside the air cleaner, but it is also running out of the overflow line from the bottom of the carb. No choke needed to start right now!

I didn't even touch the carburator..only the fuel line and vacuum line on the fuel petcock, and the tank vent on the other side to remove the tank.

As before, any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Steve Scott

Sounds as if you got some obstruction (dirt) in the needle and seat in the float bowl. Remove the float bowl and flush out the obstruction.

I agree with Doc.

It could be some small debris when you removed the tank that is now stuck in the needle and seat area. Remove the needle from the seat and let some fuel flow through it and clean off the needle before reassembling it. It doesn't take much to unseat the needle and cause the problems you are having now.

Thanks for the help-I am heading out this morning to try and remove the bowl on the carb and check the needle...It's been years since I have worked at this level on a bike, and I was afraid this might be the case....I'll let ya know how it works out! Thank you!!!

Steve

Well, ya'all must have been right-I did not find anything on the needle or the valve seat, but I did remove the input line to the carb from the fuel tank and washed out the input through the seat with cleaner, and then blew air through it as well to ensure nothing was in there.

As noted in my HD service manuals, the hinge pin for the float assembly only removes one direction. Also, when reassembling everything, I used a new HD fuel line clamp.

According to the service manual, you are supposed to use a special "hose clamp" tool to crimp the new one in place. I do not have one of those tools, but found from looking at a picture of the tool in my manual that another tool I had worked just great. It is what we in Oklahoma call a set of "fencing pliers." The top of them, normally used for spining wires to attach barbed wire to metal fence posts is also the correct dimensions to crimp the HD fuel line clamp just like factory.

The bike is back to normal now, except for the addition of a Roadtech electronic compass, a right-side auxillary handlebar switch assembly that contains the digital HD clock and an on-off switch for running lights, and a J&M two-way radio so I can converse with the touring group I travel with a couple of weekends a month.

Thanks again for the help-this forum is the best!!!!

Steve

Back