free website stats program fuel pumps | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel pumps

01 rk

Anyone have any experience with after market fuel pumps?
I am specifically interested in the CNT pump. The H-D kit goes for around $250 and the CNT kit for $50, I know the Harley kit is way over priced but wonder what I would get for fifty bucks. I have looked at some comparisons and there does not seem to be much difference in performance.

Anyone have any experience with after market fuel pumps?
I am specifically interested in the CNT pump. The H-D kit goes for around $250 and the CNT kit for $50, I know the Harley kit is way over priced but wonder what I would get for fifty bucks. I have looked at some comparisons and there does not seem to be much difference in performance.

I for 1 would not use a aftermarket fuel pump, it's a big job to replace and you only want to do it once. Sometimes it's not worth trying to go the cheapest way and the pump is 1 of them.

Looks like HD wants to sell the bracket/housing in their kit which you probably don't need. I've never did this but from the parts diagram it looks like the pump is just zip tied to the housing...oh boy big job there.

I looked at one HD pump assembly, "Made in The Czech Republic". Worried about aftermarket???

I found this @ amazon for an RK. Not sure what bike you are working on. I would go this route and save some $$ for sure.

Amazon.com: CNT Intank Fuel Pump 2000-2008 Harley Davidson Road King (Includes Classic / Custom): Automotive

Your ride you decide, in my years of wrenching when it came to hard parts like pumps I stuck with OEM. I had lots of customers bring me Napa and others, I would install them BUT I gave NO warranty if they failed and MOST of them did fail JMO

As has been said you have to decide what you're willing to risk. Even with HD it could fail as all mechanical things do. What test did you run to make you think you need a new pump?

As has been said you have to decide what you're willing to risk. Even with HD it could fail as all mechanical things do. What test did you run to make you think you need a new pump?

I did not run any test. The pump has been making sort of a barking noise when the ignition is turned on and the bike will not start, if I cycle it several times the pump eventually works and the bike starts.

Have you changed the fuel filter....
If trying to save money and doing the job 2 or 3 times over then the price of the O.E. part or parts are minimal. You are not riding a Harley because they are inexpensive (cheap). Why risk fabricating a aftermarket part to the factory assembly then break down out on the road and have the metric bikes add another feather in their caps...........:s

Yes I have changed the filter.
Also I have found that High Flow Pumps offer a life time warranty on their pumps. These pumps appear to be plug and play.

I did not run any test. The pump has been making sort of a barking noise when the ignition is turned on and the bike will not start, if I cycle it several times the pump eventually works and the bike starts.

Maybe a bad electrical connection? Take it out and bench test.

I still would go with a good name after market. $250.00 to replace a fuel pump is craziness IMO.

As Jack said, your ride you decide. If you've already changed the filter you found out it's not a 10 minute job and you don't want to keep repeating the steps to remove the pump. I myself am weary of a aftermarket product that offers a lifetime warranty. JMO.

Back