free website stats program fuel problem | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel problem

I have a 2001 fatboy and under acceleration runs smooth with plenty of power, but when I level my rpms out it sputters and psssts, and loses power for a short period of time. I opened the gas cap while the bike was running in idle to check for venting and noticed a very fine mist. Its happens more often when tank is low. I ran across a person having the same symptoms on a vrod and the recommendation was to swap out the fuel flange inside the tank. In my parts breakdown, there is no such part listed for the softail. Anybody else have the same problem? Was it a cheap fix? Thanks to all who make life easier.:newsmile048:

Thanks Bud. Whats the best way to pull out the fuel pump to check for wear and tear? When I have it open what other service should I do? I have roughly 18,000 miles on it.Thanks again!

Thanks Bud. Whats the best way to pull out the fuel pump to check for wear and tear? When I have it open what other service should I do? I have roughly 18,000 miles on it.Thanks again!

You need the HD Factory Service manual covering your model and year. That shows you how to get the fuel pump module out of the tank.

Once you get it out, check the convoluted tubing for pinholes. While out of the tank, you should probably replace the fuel filter and pressure regulator. Clean the strainer as best you can with mineral spirits.

After the third time or so that I had pinholes, I replaced the tubing with some high pressure fuel injection hose. THOSE will not wear through!!

TQ

Sorry didnt mean to leave ya hanging i didnt see thsi one come back up .. but TQ has got ya covered

This one is for TQ. I have decided replace the stock fuel hose with the high pressure fuel injector hose. The questions are: do yo know off-hand what diameter to buy, is this something I can buy at Napa. Thanks TQ.

This one is for TQ. I have decided replace the stock fuel hose with the high pressure fuel injector hose. The questions are: do yo know off-hand what diameter to buy, is this something I can buy at Napa. Thanks TQ.

I can't remember what ID it was. Took either the short convoluted tubing or the pump with me so I could "fit" the appropriate hose at the store. I went to O'Reillys because they are right up the end of the neighborhood, but any auto parts place will work. I used high pressure fuel injection hose because it is so stout (reinforced) and designed for use with fuel systems. I am sure it is rubbing away inside the tank, but I doubt I will ever see the day it wears through!! Don't forget hose clamps.

TQ

Back