free website stats program Fuel mileage poor | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel mileage poor

tubguy

Hello to all, Ive got a 2010 flhtcu with stage 1. Se big air,vh ovals and tfi nothin special. My fuel mileage is horrible,I knew it wasn`t great but checked it tonight an running at 29 mpg and thats just in town 2 up and driving normal. is it the red pot that controls the fuel or yellow, any suggestions would be great. My tfi model is the 1040.

Tubguy:newsmile036:

Hello to all, Ive got a 2010 flhtcu with stage 1. Se big air,vh ovals and tfi nothin special. My fuel mileage is horrible,I knew it wasn`t great but checked it tonight an running at 29 mpg and thats just in town 2 up and driving normal. is it the red pot that controls the fuel or yellow, any suggestions would be great. My tfi model is the 1040.

I know this is in the questions TO Doebeck tech support, but they are off today, and you might want info now.
My TFI is #1250 on a 2007. A quick look at the Doebeck site lists #1254 for your year, and #1040 is for pre '05?
To answer your question, RED pot = main fuel and functions mostly above 4,000 rpm. Yellow pot is acceleration and functions mostly below 4,000 rpm.
Green is air fuel mix, and is set at aprox. 2,000 rpm. My mileage dropped a lot (down to 35) when I first installed the TFI, but a little tweeking got me back up to low 40's avg. city/hwy.
Above info is from my #1250 instructions, and may not be accurate for #1040 models.

tubguy,

Most Over Think Dobecks suggested settings....

Leave pot 3 and 4 alone... Set where they suggested...No amount of playing with them right now is needed (usually)

Stick to their Suggested settings... The ONLY two post I changed were # 1 Green.. Setting it at 2000 RPM (Read HOW to do this...)and Leaving it alone.. setting pot two a 1/4 number Less than suggested Worked great on my ride... some go a little further Down than that on pot Two(yellow).....

Remember YOUR bike runs just ok with HD''s settings which are STILL Used and the TFI works around their stock settings to make the bike RUN GREAT...

My 09 FLHR,
gets a constant 40/42 mpg at any ride style average which suits me fine..

Man Am I Pleased.. runs Cooler and has more UMPH...:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

Tubguy,

Not sure why you are using the 1040 model on your engine. According to the Dobeck Performance site info, this is NOT the unit for your bike. You should be using:

FI-1254ST

Check here:

TFI info for HD

TQ

Tubguy,

The hardware between the 1040ST and the 1254ST is the same, but the tuneup is a little different. You'll be fine sticking with the 1040ST and will not have to switch out.

The Green pot affects the fuel mileage the most. We suggest to turn this down 0:30 from your current position which should be around 2:00 and you could also turn down the Yellow pot 0:30.

Are you riding 2 up and around town?

Thanks for the replies, It is a 1254 and I always ride 2 up. Town driving and highway driving is about 50/50, i'll change those pots as suggested. And see where it helps.

Thanks Dobeck

Update!! Did some tweaking with the TFI, fuel mileage changed. I know have gotton 42mpg on one trip and 40 on the other, much more affordable than the 29 mpg. Just need to tweek it a bit more for a little more get up and go.... Thanks to all especiallly Dobeck....

Tubguy

Back