free website stats program Fuel Line In Tank | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Line In Tank

So, when I went to put my tank back on the bike after doing a paint job... I cant find the fuel line inside the tank. Its the one that attached to the fitting that screw into the tank. I plan on replacing the fuel filter before I am all done. Will I be able to thread it through then? Or is there a trade secret to fishing that thing out through the hole in the bottom of the tank?

Let me understand what you are trying to do... fish to the hole on the bottom of the tank? If so that will be a bit harder. Why didn't you just tape up the chrome at the quick disconnect ?

I think that fuel line is part of the check valve assembly, when you unscrew the fitting (check valve) in the bottom of the tank the line comes out with it.

I didn't leave the chrome fitting and tape it off because I didn't want to tear the o-ring in the fuel line by taking it apart. the line inside the tank felt like to was attached to something so I didn't pull it out, just disconected it. Seemed stiff like it would stay put but evidently it didn't. When the fuel filert comes out, will I be able to deal with it then?

I would love it if someone could send post a photo from the big book of an 08 softail fuel system in tank especially.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, when I went to put my tank back on the bike after doing a paint job... I cant find the fuel line inside the tank. Its the one that attached to the fitting that screw into the tank. I plan on replacing the fuel filter before I am all done. Will I be able to thread it through then? Or is there a trade secret to fishing that thing out through the hole in the bottom of the tank?

If your fitting is out with no line attached you will need to replace the fitting with the line attached, with a new assembly, the fitting and line are an assembled part.

The line/fitting kit comes with directions, good idea to purchase the filter,tank gasket and new screws at the same time.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

really? Its just an acordian cleear plastic line that slipped right off. Looked to me like I'd be able to put it back on... if I can fish it out again

I think you can refit it back on if you can get it out of there. The thing is the clamps are "supposed" to be non-reusable...but as the saying goes...where there is a will...! Be careful though, that corrugated hose can be pinched or damaged if not reinstalled and dressed properly.

I will get it one way or another... coregated tube didn't have a fitting. Was just pressed on over the nipple

The flex line slips over the quick connect valve at the bottom of the tank with out a hose clamp, but it has been heat shrunk on there. when I replaced that hose on mine because of the dreaded pin hole issue I had to cut it off. The other end fits on the regulator and can be accessed by removing the top plate assembly.
Here are some links that will show expanded views of the parts.
Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2008 Harley-Davidson® Motorcycle FLSTC HERITAGE SOFTAIL® CLASSIC (BW)

HTH,
Randall

Back