free website stats program Fuel Light | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Light

SloppyBear

Just wondering here.

My wife has a 2010 Superlow, somewhat new to us. Twice now when riding the low fuel light has come on after she has just filled the tank. I was wondering if this is an issue like some cars where there is a sensor attached to the gas cap. Or if there is a different sensor, or if anyone let me know of them having a similar issue.

It seems to clear the code once she stops, turns the bike off, so i was thinking its throwing a bad code, but am unsure as its only been twice and i didn't see if it actually threw any codes.

Any ideas?

It seems to clear the code once she stops, turns the bike off,

It sounds like your stopping for fuel and leaving the engine running. When I do that it messes with the firmware and the same problem happens to me.
After refueling you must reboot.

I always shut the bike OFF and fuel.

RE-set my mileage #1 meter to "0" and turn on switches, allow the bike to cycle, then when lights are out and telling me to go ahead and start... Never a problem.

but of course mine is an 09 FLHR

signed....BUBBIE

My 2010 1200 custom does it all the time. Sometimes right after i fill it and other times 50 miles down the road. I've just learned to ignore it and watch my miles for fill up time. It is kind of annoying though.

SloppyBear, I had a problem with my 2011 Superlow doing the same thing. I took it back to the dealer and they ended up replacing the fuel level sensor. This was back in November of 2011 and I haven't had any problems with it since then. Might be worth having the sensor checked out. Good luck! Joan

Yup common problem on sportster efi that low fuel light is useless on some bikes! I have a few friends who are on fuel sensor #3 and still have the same problem! They just ride to a set miles and fill up!

*note* there is a new dual purpose tach/ speedo combo gauge from HD that you can add a real fuel gauge option too... I have heard it fixes this issue!

Yup common problem on sportster efi that low fuel light is useless on some bikes! I have a few friends who are on fuel sensor #3 and still have the same problem! They just ride to a set miles and fill up!

*note* there is a new dual purpose tach/ speedo combo gauge from HD that you can add a real fuel gauge option too... I have heard it fixes this issue!

Yeah not worth trying to fix. I like running by the odometer anyway.

I have a 2011 Sporty 48. I can have a full tank and if I hit about 80 mph the fuel light will come on. If I stop and shut things off, it clears.

Back