free website stats program Fuel leakage | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel leakage

UCWAYNE

Banned
Mornin' Ya'll,

I ride an 08 FLSTC, and I've had this happen to me a couple of times after I fuel up. When I accelerate from a stop and/or make a right hand turn, fuel leaks from the fuel cap. I also had fuel spew from around the cap, up into my face, when I had to stop really quick. I don't think that I'm overfilling the tank, but it only happens when the tank is full or nearly full. Is this something that I should refer to my HD repair shop (still under warranty) or am I just and idiot and can't get the cap on right?

Mornin' Ya'll,

I ride an 08 FLSTC, and I've had this happen to me a couple of times after I fuel up. When I accelerate from a stop and/or make a right hand turn, fuel leaks from the fuel cap. I also had fuel spew from around the cap, up into my face, when I had to stop really quick. I don't think that I'm overfilling the tank, but it only happens when the tank is full or nearly full. Is this something that I should refer to my HD repair shop (still under warranty) or am I just and idiot and can't get the cap on right?

My does Exactly the same thing (09 Dyna). It only happens when I fill the tank to the top. I figured it happened because I was over filling the tank.

If it is not normal for that to happen, what is in place (design wise) to cover you for an overfill or fuel expansion?

I figured it was normal. Are I wrong?

Hoop!

Once i can see it lapping the bottom of this i stop filling and have never suffered this issue

Your in good shape if you can "lap" your fuel to that point, and it not pour out over your tank when you drive away.

I can fill my tank to near top with the bike leaning to the left, screw the cap on tight, then lean the bike Straight up, and fuel will leak out.

Man, I HATE going to my dealer. But I will just Have too.

(Holy cow, I thought this leaking was normal. Never owned a HD)

Thanks!!
Hoop!

arhhhh i fill my bike upright and sat on the bike, i alos have the flush gas cap

Hummm, I fill mine leaning. I went to my Service manual and it does say my bike has a vent tube but says nothing about a "tight sealing none vented cap".

But it now does make sense it should not leak all over my pants, which it does, when I drive away from the pump.

I hope I am wrong, but watch me kill 5 hours at the dealer today and come home with nothing but lip service.

Don't I have a DENTIST appointment I can go to instead?

Hoop!

Thanks for the advise!!

Hoop, if you go to the dentist, I mean HD dealer, let me know what they tell you about the leakage.

Wayne

Just wanted to give everyone an update......

I think mine is fixed too. I checked the seal on it after Hoople said something about the "paint" that was on his. There was some paint on mine too, so I cleaned it off, and so far, knock on wood, it hasn't leaked since.

The one thing that really upset me when it happened the first time, was that the gas came out when I had to stop really quick, and it flew up in my face! I'm just thankful that I ALWAYS ride with some klind of glasses!! I was in some really heavy traffic at the time and if it had gotten in my eyes...............

That coulda been ugly, specially with the little lady on the back!!!

This forum is the BEST tool that I have found for my bike. I won't do anything to it with out checking here first!!!!

Ride Safe and watch out for the other guy!!
Wayne

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
"are the US bikes different to the UK bikes"??
yes ours are mandated to stay on the right...I mean correct........ side of the road:)...........just kidding!

Bottom line...gas spillage out of a modern sealed screw on cap is NOT normal and if it happens, do not top off the tank and find out why closed venting system is not working, (especially for those with closed California EVAP Control System that has been standard on HD bikes since the mid 90's or so). Excess fuel is "dumped along with the vapors into a partially filled charcoal cannister. When bike is first started up, vacuum pulls the excess fuel and vapors" into the A/F intake manifold or carburetor/aircleaner on those so equipped. Look for that "funny black plastic cannister" with 3 hoses coming out of it and make sure none of the hoses are kinked or pinched.

I am so glad to have found out today that this problem is NOT normal. My cap was tight and the gas would really leak out until I used maybe a Pint of fuel after a complete fill up.. But I may have found the reason why! Once I knew this was not normal, I went out to the garage to really inspect this cap and seal. What I found was when the tank was painted and the filler hole was Masked off, (however they do it when it is sprayed) the masking allowed paint to be sprayed at the sealing point of tank where the cap makes sealing contact. About 140 degrees (less than 1/2 circle) of the complete sealing area had been painted. It was thick paint since it was clear coated. That paint prevented the cap from making a good seal all the way around the tank sealing lip. I chipped off the paint and now it seems to seal. I wont know until tomorrow when I fill up to the top, but at this point I am sure that was the problem. I also now understand how the vent works also because you can see the vent hole in the tank neck.

Looking foward to trying it out and will post results.

Hoop!

Well it Worked! Just took the bike to the gas station. Bike leaning to left & filled to Tippy Top. Put cap on, started bike and hit the road. Dry as a bone. I bet I was leaking out the overflow tube on the side of the frame but that is expected. No gas on the pants any more.
And best of all I did not have to go to my dealer. :p
Thanks to all!

Hoop!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back