free website stats program fuel leak on keihin cv carb | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel leak on keihin cv carb

murf

My fxr has developed a fuel leak that gathers on the black plastic, "L" shaped fitting between the 1/4" fuel line and the left side of the carb body. fuel gathers and will do a slow drip if left running and sitting.Will "blow/dehydrate" off when moving. can anyone tell me how to remove and replace this fitting. Also is there a o-ring involved, does it screw in/out. ?

I switched to a brass fitting w/ became cracked but did not leak on my 93 if i remember it is a press fit in & out. the made some w/ plastic & some carbs w/ brass.....on o ring do not recall.check parts manual on site or net.

Break the plastic off and tap the hole with a 1/4 x 20 tap. Screw apiece of threaded rod into the fitting and slip a socket over the threaded rod and then use a washer and a nut on the rod to pull the fitting from the carb. Replace with a brass elbow carb fitting. Tap it in with a small hammer or press it in. No "O" rings.
kemo

Harley carries the brass fitting you need. It is very easy to remove the plastic one and replace with the brass one. I would not reccommend tapping the hole or anyother fix.

Hey thanks guys, have since called HD and found out they went to brass instead of plastic. I'm just gonna put my pliers on it and gently twist it out without any side to side motion in hopes of avoiding breaking it. I called a friend and he's got easy outs if needed. That bit about no o-ring was crucial. again thanks and once again this forum has come thru for me.

Murph; Reread Kemo's reply. He's not saying to tap the carb. You run a piece of threaded rod into the brass fitting that is inside the carb. Then put a socket (as a spacer) over it, then washer & nut to pull the fitting out. You can't just twist it out. I put my new fitting in the freezer for a while to shrink it, then gently tapped it into the carb. Be careful.
Before you go to the trouble, are you sure it's not the clamp or old fuel line causing the leak?

No, breeze, I've replaced the fuel line and put on new clamp. I think I know what you mean by not being able to "twist" it out. What I meant was to not use side to side movement so as not to break the fitting. My intention is to exert pulling pressure while twisting. I don't have the ability to tap etc. due to lack of specific tools and knowledge. I don't think I can ad lib the tap procedure with such a limited tool selection as I'm stuck with.

Murph; Reread Kemo's reply. He's not saying to tap the carb. You run a piece of threaded rod into the brass fitting that is inside the carb. Then put a socket (as a spacer) over it, then washer & nut to pull the fitting out. You can't just twist it out. I put my new fitting in the freezer for a while to shrink it, then gently tapped it into the carb. Be careful.
Before you go to the trouble, are you sure it's not the clamp or old fuel line causing the leak?

Breeze3at did the right thing with a bit of personal savvy built in...maybe Dr. Breeze would be a good nom de plume...:D

PROPS to all you guys that responded to this thread and the rest of the forum as well. I basically used kemo's procedure and also everyone elses help.

I basically started the tap with a large wood type screw. After getting some threads started I then got a 1/4" bolt started. Got a 1/4 bolt up the threads and 5 or 6 washers and a large nut that would go over the brass part of the old fitting. Cranked down the 1/4 bolt and "viola" out it came.

Last week I could spell mechanic....now, I are one. LOL

Back