free website stats program fuel injection to carb? | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel injection to carb?

guesscrazy

I have a 01 RKC with M&M fuel injection.I want to convert this to a carbed bike.I need to know what has to be changed.Maybe a parts list.Any tips?Can I use the stock cables.What carb to use on a 95" with andrews 21 cams?

I have converted a few of these. 2000-2001 are the easiest bc of the fittings in the tank just unscrew whereas the 96-99 tanks you have to cut the welded in fittings from the inside of the tank(not Fun). As of a carb, there is nothing wrong with stock keihn 40mm cv if jetted properly. Should be able to find all this stuff on ebay for under 300 bucks. Probably have to buy carb ign harness from hd for around 170 bucks or you can make one if your handy with wiring. Pretty easy swap.

Engine mount (with slot for choke) ……. 16315-99
Choke cable ……. 29229-88B
Choke elbow ……. 27580-88
Choke boot ……. 27582-88
Intake manifold ……. 27613-99
Manifold seals ……. 26995-86B
Seal ring (carb/manifold)…… 27002-89
Ignition Harness ……. 32435-00 or 01
Manifold sensor (MAP) ……. 32316-99
Manifold sensor seal ……. 11291
Retaining clip ……. 38723-99
Retaining clip screw ……. 68042-99
1. Stock Petcock- 61338-94D $58
Stock CV40 Carb- 27412-99D
You will also need the ign module of your choice

I am just wondering whats the change for? Im intrested. I do like the sound of a carbed bike rather than a fuel inject.

I am just wondering whats the change for? Im intrested. I do like the sound of a carbed bike rather than a fuel inject.

96-01 touring models came with a EFI system made my Magnetti Marelli which was a poor system at that. Some folks have good luck with them and some dont. The one im converting now is a 99 classic. It has been a problem since it came in. Could not get the hot idle to set correctly. It would idle at 750rpm when hot and if you try to bring it up it would jump to 1300-1400rpm. found out it was leaking air through the throttle shaft and the throttle body need replacing. At $1000.00 for a new one, it was a lot cheaper just to convert to carb. 2002 to current has EFI made by delphi, which is a good system and i would not convert a delphi to a carb.

And let me say this. Every MM EFI i have converted to a carb has run awesome. It is like a whole new bike. Try it you will be convinced.

96-01 touring models came with a EFI system made my Magnetti Marelli which was a poor system at that. Some folks have good luck with them and some dont. The one im converting now is a 99 classic. It has been a problem since it came in. Could not get the hot idle to set correctly. It would idle at 750rpm when hot and if you try to bring it up it would jump to 1300-1400rpm. found out it was leaking air through the throttle shaft and the throttle body need replacing. At $1000.00 for a new one, it was a lot cheaper just to convert to carb. 2002 to current has EFI made by delphi, which is a good system and i would not convert a delphi to a carb.

And let me say this. Every MM EFI i have converted to a carb has run awesome. It is like a whole new bike. Try it you will be convinced.

So if I start to see my hot and cold idle messing up that is an indicator that this FI is getting sick? While mine is running excellant at the time I am all for identifying tendencies... This alligns with what Glider has posted as well. Thank you in the mean time I'm of the notion it is ain't broke don't fix it.

So if I start to see my hot and cold idle messing up that is an indicator that this FI is getting sick? While mine is running excellant at the time I am all for identifying tendencies... This alligns with what Glider has posted as well. Thank you in the mean time I'm of the notion it is ain't broke don't fix it.

I feel the same way webbtron. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Keep on enjoying the ride. All the ones i have swapped have had some issues and people drop a lot of cash on these things and still have problems.

All the ones i have swapped have had some issues and people drop a lot of cash on these things and still have problems.
Thanks Brutal, If I could ask another question "Was there any other similarties in the bikes" Were the bike's fuel systems stock or stage 1 or any thing similar about the exhaust? My RK is totally stock the guy who ordered it really believed "chrome will get you home" but didn't ride much (3800 miles) Thanks again

I have the same bike as yours , 2001 FLHRPI, and would love to have better throttle response (hate it now). I'm thinking about this as a option or selling the bike for a newer year with the better injection. My wifes bike is a 2003 Dyna with carb and my father has a 2005 Dyna SG and both have great throttle response and ithe idel sound is more like the old school. That is what I'm talking about. Any other optioins?

Thanks Brutal, If I could ask another question "Was there any other similarties in the bikes" Were the bike's fuel systems stock or stage 1 or any thing similar about the exhaust? My RK is totally stock the guy who ordered it really believed "chrome will get you home" but didn't ride much (3800 miles) Thanks again

All 3 bikes i converted were stage ones with stock head pipe with slipon mufflers except one had true duals. I installed a mikuni hsr42 on 2 and a stock 40cv on another. all 3 ran like new bikes with the carbs on. Personally i think the 2 with the mikunis on ran a bit better. Im a big fan of Mikunis, Great throttle response, where there is no waiting for pressure difference change to lift the slide. Mikuni is flat slide, as fast as you twist ur wrist the slide opens. Many people say mikunis are hard to tune with the different circuits, but i think it makes it easier. If you choose to do the conversion, feel free to PM me with any questions. Good luck.

Back