free website stats program Fuel Injection Quick Release | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Injection Quick Release

90FXRS

Contributor
I noticed a stain on the primary. Then I notice fuel leaking out of the quick release when the I turn on the bike. Unplugged the fuel line and a broken o-ring came out. Can these be changed easily or is my thinking that the fuel pump is coming out and the quick release assemble being replaced more in line?

I believe I've read in the self help section of members having the same issue and had to change the O ring.
If memory serves me it's a bugger to get the new one in but it is do able.

I'll check and see if I can find the thread and post later.

The following is from a post on this forum in 2011. It WAS in the self help/tech tips.
Just for everyone's info.If you call Harley they will tell you thats not a repairable part and you have to buy a new tank fitting. That is false. Inside the fitting are two o rings. The bottom one is the one that starts leaking. The top one rarely needs replacing as it just holds the barb inside the fitting. They can be purchased from McMaster. Just do a search for McMaster The McMaster part number is -905 . John Deere part # R26286 also fits. The o ring dimensions are inside .414 outside .558 with a thickness of .072 If you’re on the road and it starts leaking an emergency fix is to go to an auto parts store and get an o ring that just fits into the bore of the female tank fitting. Leave the old o ring in place and add the new o ring. Use the male part of the fitting to shove the new ring into place. It will hold till you can replace the factory o ring with the right one. When you replace the original o ring be very careful to get all of the old one out of the groove. Buna & Viton are fuel approved. Silicon not so much. The deeper seated oring size is

ID .299" Thickness .103" OD .505"

To replace orings without special tools use a dental pick & 9/32” socket. Patience required.

Hmmm. I didn't see it in the Fuel and Carb section of the self-help. I did find the page on McMaster-Carr.......really don't want 100 of them but that's a heck of a lot cheaper and less work than a new check valve in it's installation. Thanks for the response everyone.

well the O-rings arrived today. I'm wondering is there any more information on this repair? How far to insert it?

I searched the forum and this was the only post I could find. Not sure if it will help, good luck.

I own a 2001 Road King Classic and the return quick disconnect, (aft) started leaking. I disconnected the external line at the disconnect and removed the o-ring and discovered it was galled up on the inside. I also discovered that this o-ring matches up exactly with the tranny and crankcase o-rings. (Harley part # 11105) It takes plenty of patience to re-install the o-ring in the housing but it will eventually seat in it's groove. Before I reconnected the return line to the quick disconnect, I inspected the outer surface of the male part of the connector and found raised metal and scratches just in front of the groove. I lightly polished the scratches and removed the raised metal with a fine Scotch Bright pad and re-connected the line. No more leaks or seeps! My lesson learned is to use great care when disconnecting and reconnecting these fittings. Push the chrome ring up as far as possible so the retention ball bearings retract fully, then gently remove the fuel line fitting. I feel strongly that the retention ball bearings will raise the burrs I discovered if care is not exercised when removing and installing the fittings.

Well I'm not having much luck and I am running out of patience. I will come back to this tomorrow when I have an inspection mirror to see up inside of the connector......and a bit more patience.

Ok....I got this finished. Been busy and just got a minute to get on here. There are two tools to add to the list. A lighted inspection mirror and a dental pick, or a reasonable facsimile. My bottom o-ring was in pieces when it came out. I could see the little piece still stuck up in there. THAT'S what was causing the headache. Inspection mirror with leds and a dental pick allowed me to see up in the assembly and get everything cleaned out. All is well and thanks again for the help. What a great site!!!!

Back