free website stats program fuel gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel gauge

dynadad

Hi all new to forum

I have a 2008 & 2007 fxdl (wife's). We both experience inaccurate readings
when we fill up gas tanks. When I fill up (I have harley skull digital gas caps)
I get 6 blue leds, when I pull out of gas station and go about 15 to 20 miles
they go down to 4 or 5. After about 120-130 miles I get 1 red led which is
suppose to mean empty. I have had it back to dealer about this problem they
said it was bad digital gas cap, they replaced it at there cost, still having
same problem. Thats only about 26 miles to a gal. I thought I was suppose
to get around 36 city/45 highway. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
I would figure my gas mileage by the miles run and the gallons put in, not by what the gas cap says. I have the stock gas cap on my deuce & it will show close to empty & I have never put more than 3.5 gallons of gas in the tank. Theoretically, I should have close to another gallon & a half.

I have also read that the LED gas caps are even less accurate than the stock ones. But, they do have the cool factor. :)

i live in south florida (east coast) my brother and mom in law live in south florida
(west coast), approx. 200 miles i would like to have some kind of fairly accurate means of judging gas milage, because the ride from my house to my brothers the only thing between here and there are steers and gators (NO GAS STATIONS)

I still would get to know the bike & my riding style to figure the mileage. I have a deuce & the furthest I have rode on a tank of fuel was 191 miles and then I only put 3.7 gallons in. I have only been riding for 4 years, but from day one, everyone I ride with have said that the harley gas gauges are inaccurate.

Your bike & mileage may be different however. I figure my mileage on every fill up.

I was told by the dealer down here that if you bend the sending unit arm down (in tank) that it may fix the problem. just wanted to know if anyone here has had the same problem before I go to dealer and spend $$$$.

My sporty has two trip odometers on it and I use one of them as my gauge. Just reset it at fill-up and I know i've got 145mi. before I need to think about the reserve.

I have done that, and seem to be getting around 30 mpg in the city (average 40-50 mph) some what better on highway, is that average?

The problem with that is that only leaves 0.9 gallons in tank, around 27 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
But Hobbit, don't you tape the throttle back in the full open position? :lero

i live in south florida (east coast) my brother and mom in law live in south florida
(west coast), approx. 200 miles i would like to have some kind of fairly accurate means of judging gas milage, because the ride from my house to my brothers the only thing between here and there are steers and gators (NO GAS STATIONS)

You talking aligator alley? I'd Fill up and trip the odometer and see how far you can go, but you should have nuff to get accross the alley.

Back