free website stats program Fuel gauge/sender install ... help | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel gauge/sender install ... help

glwaterfall

Hello, I want to install a fuel gauge and sender on my '98 softail. Can somebody help me? Thanks, Greg. :14:

Last edited:
Split tanks and installing one where there wasn't one is going to be a bit of work if possible at all. The flatside tanks are very confining when it comes to stuffing a later gauge and sending unit into them.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get one of the new electronic "Multi-fit" ones from the dealer and have a nice day? Looking back, there may be dual tank versions from a salvage yard that could be retrofitted as well...but this would be if you were starting at the very beginning...JMO.

Since you have a 98 with no fuel gauge I am going to guess you have a carb model with a petcock valve. This means you have a reserve to keep you out of trouble. You should also have a odometer and a trip odometer. I just reset the trip everytime I fill up, and start looking for gas at 125 miles. I usually find gas before I ever hit the reserve. I guess it works out for me due to long trips the bladder gives out before the tank does. However if you still need to know how much gas is in your tank, I have seen the old aircraft style gas tubes that go on the outside of the tank. It is essentially a see through hose that shows the level of gas in the tank. It won't be electronic, but it will be accurate, as gravity does not lie! Beware that welding is necessary so find someone who has welded gas tanks that have had fuel in them before so they can follow all the proper safety precautions.

Since you have a 98 with no fuel gauge I am going to guess you have a carb model with a petcock valve. This means you have a reserve to keep you out of trouble. You should also have a odometer and a trip odometer. I just reset the trip everytime I fill up, and start looking for gas at 125 miles. I usually find gas before I ever hit the reserve. I guess it works out for me due to long trips the bladder gives out before the tank does. However if you still need to know how much gas is in your tank, I have seen the old aircraft style gas tubes that go on the outside of the tank. It is essentially a see through hose that shows the level of gas in the tank. It won't be electronic, but it will be accurate, as gravity does not lie! Beware that welding is necessary so find someone who has welded gas tanks that have had fuel in them before so they can follow all the proper safety precautions.

The easiest way to weld a tank that has had gas in it is to drain and flush it then start a car and run a hose from the exhaust into the tank let it run a good 15min. The carbon monoxide neutralizes the gasoline that has etched itself into the tank making it safe to weld on. I have done this successfully many times in the last 30yrs.

I see there is quite a bit involved here. I appreciate all your comments. I have bought a used partially damaged one piece softail tank on ebay. I am watching a couple left side tanks on ebey right now. I will get one hopefully. I will then take it to someone who has done custom metal motorcycle fabrication to remove the fuel gauge cavity and re-install it into the left tank. If I can't find somebody to do this then I will attempt to do it myself. I will also install the fuel level sender from the one piece tank into the left tank as well. I will post back here as my project progresses with updates. Thanks again for your suggestions, Greg.

Have you had any luck installing the sender from the one-piece into the split left-side softy tank? If so, would you be so kind as to post pics, advice? Cheers, Rock

Back