free website stats program Fuel Float Guage Sticks | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Float Guage Sticks

road_slammer

I have a 2005 Softail Deluxe and the guage reads full all the time unless I hit a bump then it will jar lose and work until I fill the tank up and it sticks again, so I have determented it has to be the float sticking. My question is how do i get to it

Just a quick ? on this ---- If its sticking after a fill up and it unsticks when a "bump in the road" occurs , would it be a idea to put some MMO , Seafoam or equiv. in the tank to see if that would clean it up? ( If you havent already that is.) Just asking cause of not knowing!!:)

Depending on how big the bump has to be , I'de just try the sea foam & look for an appropiate bump after fill-ups .
But that's just me . I hate spending my money & I tend to throw tools around when frustrated ! :D

There is really nothing in the float mechanism that could cause, or allow, sticking. However, the way that lines and or/wires are routed could cause sticking, if the float or its support is rubbing. The only way to tell is to open her up and look. Also, if the float support has been bent in some way, away from its designed shape, that could also cause rubbing on its mounting bracket or some other part.

I hate to say it like this, but the mechanism is very much like the old style toilet float mechanisms, except that the pivot end operates a wiper on a printed pot or divider network. Nothing in itself that can really "stick" if in right.

As has been stated, be sure to replace the console seal and sealing screws if you go in, and use proper torque and torque sequence when closing up. Once you have had the assembly out you will not be intimidated any more. There is a trick to getting it out that makes sense once you see the assembly. Also, if you have fuel injection, you will need to disconnect the fuel line from the pressure regulator to the tank output fitting, to get the assembly out. So, you will need a new single-use hose clamp. You can clinch the new one on with a small fence wire cutter (like wire cutter but cutting edges are at the end, instead of on the side).

Enjoy,
Rich P

Seen a lot of floats stick in these tanks, we had to take them out and put a little bent on the wire arm to keep the float from sticking against the inside edge of the fuel tank where it wraps the center bar of the frame.

Seen a lot of floats stick in these tanks, we had to take them out and put a little bent on the wire arm to keep the float from sticking against the inside edge of the fuel tank where it wraps the center bar of the frame.
A source of rubbing I had not considered. I stand corrected.

Thanks Chopper.

Rich P

Back