free website stats program Fuel filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel filter

Dswartz

The service manual calls for a fuel filter replacement for the 20,000 mile service. I went to my dealer the other day to pick one up and he informed me that although the manual might call for it I really don't need to replace it. He said the fuel filters are much more durable than they used to be and it will go much more than 20,000. Anybody agree with the dealer or should I just go ahead and replace anyway? The bike is an '02 Superglide and the filter is original. My opinion is even if it's only 20,000 miles that filter has been in there for 9 years and probably needs to be inspected/replaced. What do you guys think?

There's no substitute for preventive maintenance. Just think how much fuel has passed through that filter and the cleanliness of the fuel to boot. Some stations have clean tanks but I would bet that there are more that don't.

He said the fuel filters are much more durable than they used to be and it will go much more than 20,000.

Agree with what he said but disagree with what he recommends.

Think about it. The dealer said the filters are more durable today than they USE TO BE. Meaning that back in 2002 they were not as durable as they are today. Ok, that sounds reasonable. But if that is true, then you most likely have one of the "less durable" filters presently in the tank because it's the original 2002 filter.

Change it.:D

IF you are going to Keep this bike for a long while more,,,, I would replace the filter and Probably Never need replacing again...

IF selling or trading off soon, I would hold off Unless there was an evident problem...

signed....BUBBIE

Think about it. The dealer said the filters are more durable today than they USE TO BE. Meaning that back in 2002 they were not as durable as they are today. Ok, that sounds reasonable. But if that is true, then you most likely have one of the "less durable" filters presently in the tank because it's the original 2002 filter.

Wonder if the part number is the same or superseded to verify his statement.

Same response from my dealer, said they replace at the 50k service.

If you look at the filter there is not a whole lot of surface area to it. It maybe has 5 square inches of filter surface to the entire filter. Based on size alone, it really does look like it needs to be replaced sooner than 50K.

My owners manual for my 2009 says to replace the fuel filter at 25K. It does not appear to be a spring loaded filter, so if it starts to restrict, it will cause you to go lean on your A/F ratio.

(part #61011-04A)

I did mine at 15k, but I had to strip the tank for paint so why not right?
Don't forget new plate gasket and screws with plastic shoulders

The service manual calls for a fuel filter replacement for the 20,000 mile service. I went to my dealer the other day to pick one up and he informed me that although the manual might call for it I really don't need to replace it. He said the fuel filters are much more durable than they used to be and it will go much more than 20,000. Anybody agree with the dealer or should I just go ahead and replace anyway? The bike is an '02 Superglide and the filter is original. My opinion is even if it's only 20,000 miles that filter has been in there for 9 years and probably needs to be inspected/replaced. What do you guys think?

I assume your pump/filter/fuel pressure regulator and screen sock are all inside the tank? If so, and you are gonna yank all that out of there, I would suggest replacing the filter, pressure regulator and the plastic corregated fuel lines. This is WAY overkill, but it means you are starting with zero miles on the clock for all that stuff, and won't be tearing into the tank again because one of these other things goes wrong!!

TQ

Back