free website stats program Fuel Delivery Problem? Stalling when throttled | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Delivery Problem? Stalling when throttled

Dustinwicks

Hey Guys,

Noob here. Just bought a seldom ridden garage kept 02 Sportster for a song. Only problem is it won't stay running! I can start it on full choke it stays running for a minute then stalls. Any time I throttle or turn choke off it stalls as well.

It was last serviced by HD in July of 16 and they did a carb cleaning, replaced the starter, replaced a rusted clutch line; and replaced the battery.

After buying I replaced the fuel with fresh fuel, replaced the brand new battery (it had died from a year of no use since last replacement). Still wouldn't stay running.

I opened the carb today and and cleaned the jets and float. (first time doing so and used YouTube so maybe I messed something up though I was careful and it's still running the same so I don't think so) It seemed to idle better, even got it 500 feet down the road before it stalled again.

Dropped the tank and cleaned the fuel filter no change. Replaced the plugs and wires because the plugs were fouled. No improvement. After googling some more think it might be a fuel delivery issue. But I don't know how to test that! Right now I'm trying to decide if I should A.) give up and tow it to a shop for diag, B.) tow it to Harley and trade it in for a new one (I only paid $500 for it) or C. Keep throwing parts at it.

One note, the fuel lines do seem to be dry rotted, cracked and torn. When you touch them the rubber stains your fingers black but I'm not sure how to verify. I watched a YouTube video showing gas squirting into carb when you throttle I didn't see that happen when I turned throttle but the vid was of a crotch rocket so not sure if design is the same.

What should I do?!?!?!

I believe that bike has a vac. operated petcock. Check that the small hose on the manifold just behind the carb is attached and not cracked. You can check gas flow by pulling the fuel line off the carb, and the vac. hose off the manifold. A small amount of suction is all that is required to open the vac. diaphragm and get gas flow. I'd recommend getting new fuel and vac. line. Just common hose, avail. by the foot at any auto parts store.

As Breeze has suggested and be sure to make sure that vac. petcock is operating properly cause the diaphragm in it may be causing an issue as well.

I believe that bike has a vac. operated petcock. Check that the small hose on the manifold just behind the carb is attached and not cracked. You can check gas flow by pulling the fuel line off the carb, and the vac. hose off the manifold. A small amount of suction is all that is required to open the vac. diaphragm and get gas flow. I'd recommend getting new fuel and vac. line. Just common hose, avail. by the foot at any auto parts store.
Thanks Breeze! I will try to replace those tomorrow. I will let you know what happens

From the symptoms given i would suspect a weak mixture
It may be caused by the vacuum line to the petcock or blockage in the fuel line, incorrect setting on the float in the float bowl or a leaking inlet manifold drawing in extra air or perhaps blocked jets

Brian

I think everyone has you pointed in the right direction and you are probably correct that this is a fuel delivery problem. If the petcock is original the rubber in it can be damaged due to the ethanol in the gas. You might also check the diaphragm in the accelerator pump they are effected by the corn in the gas too. Changing all the hoses never hurts and the vacuum hose from the back of the carburetor to the vacuum assist could be the real issue. Have you taken the petcock out of the tank and cleaned the screen filter on top of it? I personally did away with the vacuum petcock and replaced with a Pingle model. The choke you refer to is really an enricher valve so make sure the rubber seal on the end toward the carb is seated correctly or you will have an air leak there.

Back