free website stats program Fuel consumption again | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel consumption again

ausibatla

A week ago I was complaining about my fuel consumption. I went onto reserve at 160km (100m) and I thought that was a bit poor considering it's a 1340 (admittedly with some work done to it) with a 5 gallon tank. I have just been across to a nearby town which I know is 50km away and on my return home I checked the odometer on my speedo which is brand new and instead of showing 100km it read 54km.
Has anybody else had this problem? It would also explain my lousy fuel consumption if the trip meter is only showing about half of the actual distance travelled. The speed readout on the speedo is accurate.
Cheers.
:cheers
:AUSTRALIA

If speedo is indicating around the correct speed then it would tend to suggest that the speedo drive unit and the cable are ok and that the speedo unit is faulty as it is a new unit I would speak to the supplier for a solution

Brian

I agree with fin 676 on this. Your new speedo should be a 2240:60 ratio. If it was the wrong ratio, ex.1:1 or 2:1, then the MPH wouldn't read correctly either.
tourbox

I spoke to a bloke who works at the place where I bought the bike. Because it was in miles they sent me a new speedo in Kilometers but the bloke said that sometimes they get a speedo in miles, recalibrate it to read kilometers , replace the face with one that reads kilometers but they leave the odometer and trip meter as it was and giving a distance travelled in miles.
Has anyone heard of this practice?
Cheers.

I have NOT heard of it as a practice but OTHER words that I Can't use here on this form come to mind...:bigsmiley14:.

I bought a New 2002 PT cruiser from Canada that had to get the From Metric to Miles,,, ALL completely done before it was allowed to come into the USA... and it had to Pass inspection at the border...

Now you may be correct that they did it to yours as much as it was needed and Not changed it all out...

Yes, I know what to say Language Wise;..........

You must have gotten the "Short End of the Stick" on that Deal

Talk like that will keep me on here for a longer time.:small3d023:

I'd ask your dept. of motor vehicle IF they should have to Put it in total km's and legally Have to do it???????

LONG ago I was thinking to come to the Down-Under and bringing my VW Beatle. I needed to have all the changes done Like Moving the steering and floor levers to the opposite we use Up here... But the Miles/km on the face were marked Both and I doubt the law made the Mileage numbers change but that was LONG ago... ? 1971... Man am I old....

it Might be worth a question on your law...

signed....BUBBIE

If that is the case then 100km round trip should read 62 miles and not 54 however it is closer to correct than previously thought
In that case 160miles then going to reserve is reasonable fuel consumption
The next real issue is finding out what the bike as some stuff is different between the hdi and dom models hdi = Harley Davidson international dom = domestic for use in USA my sportser is a dom and was privately imported to the uk the other bikes are hdi
I have seen on this forum that it is not uncommon for Canadians to buy there bikes in USA and save a lot of money but have to convert the speedo to km to make them legal so the parts are available to do it
But now you know the bike is good just the odometer is wrong then a quick conversion in your head as you travel may be all you need these bikes all have their own character once you get to know your own bikes character then they are very easy to get on with

Brian

It turns out that the speedo's are manufactured like this the speedo reads in kph but the trip metere and odometer are in miles.
They even sell them on ebay but with an explanation. Check this link.
Speedo KPH Face Softail® 4 Speed FXWG 84 90 FL 81 84 2240 60 Ratio | eBay
It seems strange that HD sell to the world but have trouble supplying a full metric speedo to the Australian market.
Cheers.

SOOooooooo, ??????

What kind of Mileage are you getting using OUR method of Miles....:rofl

I know it will surprise You and Us... Could it be at 40?

signed....BUBBIE

I just spent a wee bit of time going through my parts list which is for 93 and 94 big twins there is no kph speedo listed for the softail models there is for all other models it makes you wonder about the thinking at the moco at that time

Brian

Back