free website stats program Fuel advice needed.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel advice needed..

mopar

My bike is a 2008 Streetglide with 103" kit, 255 cams, SEPST with 103" stage 2 map and SE slipons. CCP is 210 front and back. Bike starts and runs good with no popping or back firing. During the summer, after riding awhile, the bike becomes sluggish when starting off from a traffic light and doesn't clear up until back out on the road. Almost like it looses a cylinder. I have to rev it up and slip the clutch to pull off. After it sits long enoughh to cool off, it clears up until it gets warm in town again. Plugs look clean (electrode is white). Bike seems to run good out on open road all day long. It only seems to have the problem when warm in town. Oil temp gage never gets over 230-240. I have seen it do this when the oil temp was reading 200. Could this be the Temp management kicking in? Any ideas?

The high heat management is suppose to kick off as soon at the throttle TPS senses an off "zero" position. You almost can't miss it when the management system kicks in. I would guess it would be sluggish if the cylinder temp was at or greater than 315*F which is around the temp that heat management kicks in. With the exception of that 1 issue, does the bike runs OK?

In the hot summer months I have noticed that the brand of fuel (additives) are more critical. Have you tried a different BRAND name fuel just to see what the results would be. Running 93?

I also do notice my engine going "sluggish" in heat extremes. My engine really runs Great and at it's best when the outside temp is 85 or below. I can feel the difference when it is in the mid 90's.

Thanks for the quick reply. I always run name brand fuel and 93 octane. Problem only shows up on warm days when bike has been ridden awhile and I pull into town. It doesn't feel like the bike is getting that hot. When it acts up, the idle rpm doesn't drop much if any and when you pull off from a stop there isn't a piont where you feel it clear up off idle.

Well if it is that unexplainable, I would take the VCI dongle from your SEST and tape it to the bars. Perform some data logging when the bike is running fine, and when the bike is running poorly. Perform a dump to the laptop and review the data (play it out) and see what is going on.

At least you will be able to eliminate any sensor issues.

Back