free website stats program Frustrating search for oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Frustrating search for oil leak

I have a 95 Heritage with 35000 miles on it. The bike has been good & reliable for the most part, but some annoying problems are starting to surface. I have noticed a small pool of oil underneath the left side, but inboard of primary. The oil appears to be dripping off the left side of the frame at the level about mid-way between ends of the primary. I have not been able to trace it beyond this point. I have repaired a minor leak from the front rocker box (replaced all gaskets). and a possible small leak through stator plug (with RTV silicone). I can't tell if oil is from primary or not because I use motor oil (synthetic) in both oil tank and primary. Any suggestions about where to look next would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kent,

Mine was leaking inside the primary,it was the 5th gear oil seal on my 2005 electra glide. I bought the James oil seal and gasket kit and replaced them all while I had the primary apart. It also could be the shifter shaft seal and that comes with the kit too.

Engine oil will get more black do to the carbon.
So if the oil leaking is clean.
You could get oil dye and add to the transmission than use a black light after a ride to mix it in the oil.
Should show a trail leading to the cause.

As Joel said, get an oil dye kit, put a few drops in the oil that you suspect is leaking, and follow the trail to the source.

Oil can migrate from anywhere and drip off the lowest point when on the stand
I had the main shaft oil seal leaking on my 94 dyna and replaced all the gearbox seals on that side once i had the primary off

Brian

Kent,

Mine was leaking inside the primary,it was the 5th gear oil seal on my 2005 electra glide. I bought the James oil seal and gasket kit and replaced them all while I had the primary apart. It also could be the shifter shaft seal and that comes with the kit too.
Thank you

Most likely culprit is the main shaft/fifth gear seal. The inner primary bearing race (IPB) has most likely "walked" in on that seal causing the leak. As has been said, replace all the seals behind the inner primary while you are there and save yourself revisiting for a seal replacement. If the IPB race as walked in, you will need to replace the race as well; bearing and seal should be replaced as well. Not an expensive repair but labor intensive and messy.;)

If you don't have a service manual I would suggest you get one. I have attached 2 pics for what Dolt is talking about. In pic1 is the seal, item 5 is p/n12035B and IPb race, item 6 p/n 34091-85A.
In pic 2 item 19 is a quad seal, p/n11165 and item 22 is a seal, p/n 12067B. There is also a spacing between #6 and # 11. I believe it is .100"-.200". It also requires a special tool for removal & installation.

Pic 1

Pic 2
tourbox

All good suggestions but before you tear into it you first have to determine what's leaking and where.
If you can't visually tell where it's coming from the dye is a good place to start.

Back