free website stats program Frontend tracking | Harley Davidson Forums

Frontend tracking

Got an 07 Heritage ,when riding straight down the road the front forks/handlebars are at about a 10 degree angle. My problem does'nt stop me from enjoying the ride it's just anoying.Replaced the chrome covers on the front forks thought I might find somthing under there(had scratches) Can somone offer any help before I break out the pipe wrenches!

Are you absolutely sure it is not the relationship between the forks and the bars that is off? The FORKS are 10* off when going straight?.

I've got an 07' FLHTC and my bars and fairing seem to be off as well? Right now I'm riding a loaner from the dealership ( 06' road king ) and those bars aren't true either. However, the bikes both seem to be tracking fine. Thanks, I thought it was just me.

The Only way you can have the bike going straight down a straight road AND have the Front fork cocked to either side is if the "thrust angle" (thrust line) of the REAR wheel is not perpendicular to the rear fork & frame..

Checklist: Of course I am assuming your frame is not bent,, you don't have the incorrect spaces on the axles, your tires don't have a problem with them which is causing a pull,, your not compensating for road crown,,and your engine stabiliizer link is the correct length (front & rear rotors in same vertical plane). .

If the thrust angle of the REAR wheel is off, it will push the FRAME to one side while riding down the road.. The only way you would be able to make the bike go straight down the road would be to turn the bars a bit to make up for the rear Thrust angle.. This could be exactly what is happening in your case.

If the checklist above is ok, I would bet 10 to 1 odds, your REAR wheel alignment is off. If your bars are at 12:30 (aerial view) while going straight ahead, then your right REAR axle is more rear than the left side. Where the rear axle cams are means Nothing. Don't go by them.

Have seen in some instances the trim that covers the handle bar mounts are off center giving the impression the bars are off center. The other suggestions here are great items to check if trim found to be ok.

The Only way you can have the bike going straight down a straight road AND have the Front fork cocked to either side is if the "thrust angle" (thrust line) of the REAR wheel is not perpendicular to the rear fork & frame..

Checklist: Of course I am assuming your frame is not bent,, you don't have the incorrect spaces on the axles, your tires don't have a problem with them which is causing a pull,, your not compensating for road crown,,and your engine stabiliizer link is the correct length (front & rear rotors in same vertical plane). .

If the thrust angle of the REAR wheel is off, it will push the FRAME to one side while riding down the road.. The only way you would be able to make the bike go straight down the road would be to turn the bars a bit to make up for the rear Thrust angle.. This could be exactly what is happening in your case.

If the checklist above is ok, I would bet 10 to 1 odds, your REAR wheel alignment is off. If your bars are at 12:30 (aerial view) while going straight ahead, then your right REAR axle is more rear than the left side. Where the rear axle cams are means Nothing. Don't go by them.

Hoople is right in alignment geometry if the thrust angle is off it will appear to be mis aligned on the front end, start at the back of the bikefirst with any measurements as the rear wheel will push you left or right from the geometric center line or thrust angle of the bike:s

Makes a lot of sense ,Have not even considered the rear wheel.You've been a real help,I was'nt looking at the whole picture .Thanks!!!!Ride safe

Before you mess with anything you need to get that bike on a lift block wheel stright and look it over. it could just be simple bars out of line

If it just seels like your a little off center. Put your front wheel against something solid and give the front a couple of bumps in the opposite direction. The tubes can get tweeked in the triple trees and not be in perfect parallel. Or if you have the urethane bushings that mount the handlebars risers, they could need adjustment. This costs nothing, hurts nothing and takes seconds.

Last edited:
Normally when the rear wheel is outa whack, you will get a wobble as the front and back wheel try to run true to their center line.

Normally when the rear wheel is outa whack, you will get a wobble as the front and back wheel try to run true to their center line.

During cornering that is true.

When cornering it is an entire different story since your countersteering (turning bars left to go right).. What you say is very true during cornering.

But how I understand it, the OP's FORK is 10* off center going straight.

Back