free website stats program front Tire fender | Harley Davidson Forums

front Tire fender

ngjandm

I am going to purchase the sport fender for my front tire, on my '06 883. This is mainly to replace to paint dings on it. Is this front fender on the sportster something that can be replaced with the wheel in place?

Yes you can, after replacement tighten lock nuts to 96-156 in-lbs. Your best bet is to get a service manual, this info is in there. It is the best $60 you will spend.

This is what I was looking at. I do have a service manual, and duh, didn't think to look there first, but figured I'd ask here first since I was at work when I thought about it. Unfortunately what mad me think about it was, my rear tire with only 600 mi, has a nail in it, and I do need a new front tire, so.....might as well replace the dinged fender while I am at it. :) Let me know if the link doesnt work, but basically its the sport fender as seen in the harley catalogs.

Georgia Motorcycle Dealer - Killer Creek Harley-Davidson - Roswell, GA

Looks real good, certainly better than existing one, my only question is, does it use the same sheet metal bracket or do you need to fit a fork brace on, as it appears to be less metal in the fork area. JMHO

59496_00HY_M_8ee9.jpg

hd_spacer_e204.gif
hd_spacer_e204.gif

My Brother got one for his Sportster and that fender is made out of plastic. Looks good on his bike but not to happy that it's plastic. When his bike is idling the fender shakes all over the place.

If plastic, definitely get the fork brace...you will need two people and a solid wall to butt the front tire up against and use Glider's procedure for making sure both fork sliders are centered in their stanchions, triple tree and steerer assy are in line, a nice solid wall to push against to compress forks (without using your brakes as many models have only one caliper and disc brake assy) in the self help section.

If you have any question about the need, go out to your bike with the steering locked and to the left. Use your palm and push against the wheel and then slap it a few times, that give changes the fork geometry between the left and right sliders and the twang is due to the long support line between the axle and the triple clamp (plenty of flex when cornering hard).

You can use your knee to try to fold the fork even further, but don't push too hard! Get that fork brace and install it properly centered over your fork and stanchions and you will be happy, especially if you use a cutout "flexy" fender and bracket assembly.

Last edited:
Back