free website stats program front signal relocation | Harley Davidson Forums

front signal relocation

RideTheLightning

Hello there,

I noticed that for the front turn signal relocation kit that HD uses, in the instructions it tells the user to lift the front wheel up and use a center stand. Is this necessary?

I was also looking to find a kit to get the signals underneath the headlight, because I have seen bikes with this setup but I can't find anything online.

I did the relocation kit several months ago on my bike. I had the bike up on a lift which I think was necessary. The reason for this is the new signal support bracket bolts right onto the lower tree. You dont want the weight of the bike on the forks when you go to remove that bolt. Granted, I've never tried it but it just doesn't sound like a good idea. I would recommend getting a lift or some type of support to take the weight off the front end.

Hello there,

I noticed that for the front turn signal relocation kit that HD uses, in the instructions it tells the user to lift the front wheel up and use a center stand. Is this necessary?

I was also looking to find a kit to get the signals underneath the headlight, because I have seen bikes with this setup but I can't find anything online.

I surmise that you have the kit that requires removing the pinch bolts from either the lower or upper tree. So (as Dswartz said) the instructions are concerned about tree (aka clamp) tube flexure upon bolt removal. If you don't have a bike lift, you could fabricate a rear wheel chock and use any low sissor jack to lift the front of the frame.

I would guess that even with the bike sitting on the floor, you could remove and replace one pinch bolt (one side) at a time and then replace before removing the other side and probably be ok. But that is just my personal opinion.

Drag Specialties sells some brackets that mount directly to the fork tubes (I put them on my bike) so you would not have to remove the pinch bolts. Besides some of those pinch bolts kits tend to stick the signals too far out in my opinion. Do a search and look around for your options.

If you want to buy a bike lift, there is an economical solution to that with the H.F. steel yellow lift.

I installed the HD relocation kit, it installs on the lower tree pinch bolts. As long as you only do one at a time there is no problem with the fork tube slipping. One problem with the HD kit is the light mount cracks at the base when the pinch bolt is torqued (I used a calibrated torque wrench). On another sportster forum I hear this is a common problem. I don't know if the crack is just the chrome plating or the mount itself but it seems solid.
And yes I think the mounts stick the lights out to far. But, it's worth the 21 dollars I paid for it.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 37
So there you go RideTheLightning, jetwrench just verified you can do it without a lift.

Also this link has some Drag Specialty types for a Sportster that are the same design I put on my Dyna. These are $29 bucks, mount directly to fork tube.

Drag Specialties 39mm Turn Signal Fork Clamps, Chrome - Harley Models for Harley Davidson Sportster RTI01

Here is a pic of the above type on mine. Tried to upload another view but would not go. Anyhow I have them mounted below the bottom tree so they don't get in the way of my windshield, but otherwise can be mounted up higher on the tubes.

Attachments

• SigMount1.JPG
    SigMount1.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 34
Wow, thanks for the info guys. I just saw some material about the HD ones cracking. I think I'll go with the drag specialties one now that I have seen pics of both. Seems like it'd be easier to put together as well. I appreciate it very much. :)

So there you go RideTheLightning, jetwrench just verified you can do it without a lift.

Also this link has some Drag Specialty types for a Sportster that are the same design I put on my Dyna. These are $29 bucks, mount directly to fork tube.

Drag Specialties 39mm Turn Signal Fork Clamps, Chrome - Harley Models for Harley Davidson Sportster RTI01

Here is a pic of the above type on mine. Tried to upload another view but would not go. Anyhow I have them mounted below the bottom tree so they don't get in the way of my windshield, but otherwise can be mounted up higher on the tubes.

I've got this kind on my bike but I never thought of mounting them below the bottom tree,it looks great.You'll have to excuse me now,I'm just going out the garage,got some turn signals to move!

I just relocated mine to lower tree with the HD kit & the chrome plating got a nice crack in it after torquing to specs. A poor design by HD.
The biggest thing to note is the convoluted HD instructions !
They want you to cut the turn signal wires & reattach with supplied connectors & shrink wrap tubing . This is totally unnecessary , all you have to do is loosen the headlight shade/cover Allen bolts & remove only one to get the signal wires past then bolt back in place. These Allen bolts on mine were very tight , probably from factory "loc-tite" , so you may want to put back with same as these bolts hold the whole headlight assembly.
I like the new look even if they stick out a bit , gives the narrow forks some perceived width .

Back