free website stats program Front & Rear Tires for 2009 Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Front & Rear Tires for 2009 Ultra Classic

Cyclops

Now that the tire configuration on the 09 Touring models has been out there a while, just wondering what types/brands of tires others might be applying to their bikes and would recommend. I'm not sure if I want to stay with Dunlops or not. My front tire is one of the 407Fs that HD says is OK and not part of their recall/bulletin. However, since I'm replacing my tubed rims to the standard tubeless 28 spoke rims, I've decided I'll have new tires applied. Not sure if it makes any difference in tire selection, but my bike has ABS brakes.

Thanks in advance for your input/advice. Ride Safe!

You are asking the question I've been wondering about. I hope you get some good replies because while the 408F seems to be a good tire (my 407 was replaced under warrantee) my 407R rear tire is cupping badly. I've got almost 25,000 kilometres on it so milage is good but the whine from the cupping is loud and shakes the whole bike when cornering. Not at all sure I want to replace it with the same tire. Thanks again for asking the question.

I bought my bike used earlier this year with 15k miles on it and now have 26K miles. not sure of mileage on the front but the rear was replaced when the bike was traded. I have been perfectly happy with the stock tires so unless someone has a really good option I wouldnt hesitate to replace with like. Having said that I have lots of miles left on the rear and the front may need replacement perhaps at the 30k or if not, 35k service so will watch this thread for options.

Well it is time for me to change tires on my 09 FLHTCU I have 18K on the dunlops, Because of the tire size that H.D. went to I could only fined 3 opptions for tires Dunlops, Avon Cobras, Metzler ME880, I have not decided what ones to go with was hopping to get info here. Was leaning towards the Avons.

Tank have you run the Avons? How is traction in the wet compared to the Dunlops? And milage between the two?

The Indy I am going to swears by the Avons. Steve I had the same thought that to get better traction you give up milage. guse Ill go down to dealer this weekend to se if they have the dunlops and what they want for them and price for install, Indy said they cant get the Dunlops that they are on back order through there supplyer.

not sure "sticky rubber" and a big tourer like the Ultra should even be said in the same sentence :) . On this bike (vs some of the sport and sport touring bikes I have had) I want decent grip but excellent long mileage (and load handling). On my other bikes I would have opted for decent mileage and excellent grip...fit the tire to the purpose.

I'm going to replace mine with the Stock HD tire... I'v had TOO Good of wear out of these stock Dunlops. I have used many different tires on many of my bikes thru the years..

Avons Venom X's, good report from me and others who tried them. The Metzler 880's, seemed to wear early on,,, I liked them on my 2000 FXDS rear (150's).

I haven't had as BIG a back tire on a bike and can't believe that both front and back tires on my 09 FLHR have More Miles Left on them, at 18,000 from new...

I will go with the OEM's Unless they are Not available when i go to replace them.... Barring a recall or ????

signed....BUBBIE

I appreciate everyone's input on the tires. No more stress, I'm putting the Dunlops back on. Seems like they'll be the best for my riding.

It's Friday, everyone ride safe this weekend!

I just replaced both my front and rear at around 10,000. I bought the bike with 5,000 from the prior owner and doubt he ever replaced them. The front tire still had quite a bit of tread on it but the rear was looking a bit slick in the center. Figured I'd just start anew. Oh yeah, and I replaced them with the OEM Harley Davidson branded Dunlops.

Back