free website stats program Front motor mount issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Front motor mount issue

R_W_B

2007 Dyna Street Bob, 13890 miles.
Last week I set out to do the front mount washer shim and I noticed upon inspection my front isolator mount looked rather stretched and rough looking. So I ordered a new one from Zanottis'. Today I got it installed in place with the bolts in it, went to screw on the nuts and they started fine, but then noticed just as the bolts were coming out the other side of the nuts they started to drag some (both of them). So I stopped and inspected the bolts, they both looked fine. I inspected the nuts, they both look like someone hit the outside thread with a pin punch? I know I could get them on ok since they came off with no apparent damage to the bolts, but I am heading to the hardware store now to buy a couple of new ones after I post this.
What's bugging me, is this some sort of factory thing they do to keep them from coming all the way loose or something ? Anybody else notice this installing front mounts on Dyna? I am talking about the bolts and nuts that mount the top of the isolator mount to the engine brace, not the two bottom frame mount bolts.

2007 Dyna Street Bob, 13890 miles.
Last week I set out to do the front mount washer shim and I noticed upon inspection my front isolator mount looked rather stretched and rough looking. So I ordered a new one from Zanottis'. Today I got it installed in place with the bolts in it, went to screw on the nuts and they started fine, but then noticed just as the bolts were coming out the other side of the nuts they started to drag some (both of them). So I stopped and inspected the bolts, they both looked fine. I inspected the nuts, they both look like someone hit the outside thread with a pin punch? I know I could get them on ok since they came off with no apparent damage to the bolts, but I am heading to the hardware store now to buy a couple of new ones after I post this.
What's bugging me, is this some sort of factory thing they do to keep them from coming all the way loose or something ? Anybody else notice this installing front mounts on Dyna? I am talking about the bolts and nuts that mount the top of the isolator mount to the engine brace, not the two bottom frame mount bolts.

Self locking nuts no doubt:s

Self locking nuts no doubt:s

Yep, an old pro like you would know that Jack.

Ok forturnately my friendly Ace Hardware man is smarter than me, (he is a retired NAPA guy). I showed him the nut and told him I wanted a new one. So he got one and gave it to me, I immediately tried it on a bolt and the new one did the same thing. I explained to him why I was buying the new one, he smiled and said what you have there are "all metal locking nuts". He said they are designed to self lock (kinda like a heavy duty version of the neophrene lockers if you will). He said the last couple of threads are stamped with an exacting measured stamp when they are made, to slightly flatten them, causing a slight drag. So I did not need new ones.
I might make half a mechanic yet in my old age.

Yep, an old pro like you would know that Jack.

Ok forturnately my friendly Ace Hardware man is smarter than me, (he is a retired NAPA guy). I showed him the nut and told him I wanted a new one. So he got one and gave it to me, I immediately tried it on a bolt and the new one did the same thing. I explained to him why I was buying the new one, he smiled and said what you have there are "all metal locking nuts". He said they are designed to self lock (kinda like a heavy duty version of the neophrene lockers if you will). He said the last couple of threads are stamped with an exacting measured stamp when they are made, to slightly flatten them, causing a slight drag. So I did not need new ones.
I might make half a mechanic yet in my old age.

I really dont like these nuts compared to a nylock but what you going to do, just tighten them up and hope for the best, or lock washer and double nut with grade 8 nuts, Capital Jack:s

I really dont like these nuts compared to a nylock but what you going to do, just tighten them up and hope for the best, or lock washer and double nut with grade 8 nuts, Capital Jack:s

It's 34 degrees this morning down here south of Orlando, what's it up in Jacksonville ?

How are you guys torquing the top nuts?

Wonder how you guys are torquing the top mount bolt nuts (mount to engine brace).

I can't get the head of my torque wrench and socket in the space between it and frame tube.

I can get a crows foot on the front one but the second one no go.
I just had to tighten them by feel with a regular wrench..
Any input on guys that have done this ?

It's 34 degrees this morning down here south of Orlando, what's it up in Jacksonville ?

Cold her too, Try a dog bone, Torque adapter Like Snap On or Mac or Matco:s

Back