free website stats program Front Master Cylinder Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Master Cylinder Leak

hd4evr

Banned
My master cylinder for the front brake on my SuperGlide is leaking a little bit. I tightened the two screws real tight and now it's worse. I ordered a new cover (paint all peeled off the old one) and new gasket, my question is "how tight do you tighten the screws to get a good seal?" I can't see anyway to torque it to a spec with a screwdriver, so how tight? Hand tight? Really tight? lightly tight? Thanks!

Use a torque wrench with a Phillips tip in the socket. Over tightening them will cause them to leak because it squashes the gasket.

Torque screwdrivers are a nice tool to have...vary in price from around $50 to $200...and are available from Snap-On and Utica amonst others...I use Snap-On from my old automotive days...but also use Utica one for fine work.

This one is for firearms accessorizing, but certainly worth the $43 price tag...

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.Exe/showproduct?saleitemid=718023

The Utica one here is the upper price range, but it has the female hex end for the more common torx, hex, screw, phillip and posi bits we all have...

Utica TS-30 - "Click" Type Torque Limiting Screwdriver, Adjustable, 6-30 in/lb Range, 1/4" Female Hex Drive

I had the same problem on my 08 Ultra Glide. There was a sticky filim between the cover and the reservior. I took the bike back to the deler and they replaced the cap, with a chrome one, under warrenty.

Back