free website stats program Front forks | Harley Davidson Forums

Front forks

stead

First of all i am new to this. Hello everyone... I have a 1976 hd rigid frame sporty and i am having a bit of a problem with the front forks. On the bottom of my right fork i have a small plate that bolts up to the fork to hold the axle in place. On of the studs is stripped out and will not let the nut tighten. can i cut the stud off and drill it out and replace it, i have already used the ole tap and die set to fix it once but the stud is to far gone. please don't tell me i have to replace the forks!!!!

is it a part that i will have to get from the dealer or should i be able to match it up at a parts store somewhere.....thanks for the quik reply btw

Probably available at the parts store but I would get it at the dealer to be sure it's the right Rockwell hardness.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thank you very much. i will definately will let you know. thanks again you have solved alot of banging my head against the wall.

Check to see if the new stud calls for locktite in it when you install it. Generally the axle retaining studs have some on it.

Got the new ones in and it worked great. I did add some loctite and went with a little longer stud so i could lock two nuts on the end seems to be working great.

Back