free website stats program Front fork air baffle ???? | Harley Davidson Forums

Front fork air baffle ????

DandyDoug

Question regarding the front fork air baffle HD # 58520-79TC ;

Does it work , is it worth having, who has one mounted ???

Question regarding the front fork air baffle HD # 58520-79TC ;

Does it work , is it worth having, who has one mounted ???

The previous owner of my bike (brother inlaw) says they come in handy when it rains. I have never had them off so I cant answere

Looked at the self help section the instruction sheet on it. One post said to remove in hot weather but can't find where HD says to do that.

I've had two Road Kings. The front air baffle was the first piece of chrome I removed from the old bike and installed on the new bike. It reduces the airflow that otherwise comes up over your gas tank and into your chest and face. Someone here said to take it off in the Summer, but I don't know why. I leave mine on year round.

i just bought one today going to put on tomm. while getting ready to head to daytona. i will let you know if they work i get alot of air between tank and fairing.hope it works but bike was lowered 1 inch when i had chrome frontend put on. later ride safe

The service manager at a local shop once told me that Harley didn't recommend using them and they stopped putting them on the new bikes because they interfere with air flow to the motor.

This didn't make much sense to me as they still sell them and also at the time still put them on the new Road Gluides. My guess is they stopped putting them on the new bikes to save a couple bucks.

The factory service manual tells us to remove the front fork air baffle which attaches to the triple tree with either 2 or 3 screws during hot weather. It further advises that removal will allow air which is trapped under the tank area to be evacuated more efficiently, thus allowing the rider to be a little more comfortable.
It works. I have hung streamers from the crash bars and the handle bars with the airdam on and off and there is a noticable difference in how the dynamics change. In the winter time (airdam on) you want that trapped air to come wafting up from the tank-rocker box area. It might only be 4-5 degrees warmer but when it is 30 outside, any help is appreciated.
I did notice that on the 2010 RG Custom, which has a little different sharknose on it, that the factory no longer includes it as stock equipment. Not sure why. Maybe cost savings, or not. Either way, that is beyond my pay grade.

I ride with 3 other Ultra's and they all have them on there year round. I don't have one on my bike. Theirs are all 88" and mine is 96", so I always assumed that the new bikes did not have them to keep the heat down. IE more airflow to the cyclinders.

Back