free website stats program front footpegs alignment! | Harley Davidson Forums

front footpegs alignment!

SE6A

....I have a 1999 softail standard with the original forward controls.
one footpeg especially does not sit horizontally, but tends to angle downwards slightly.
My initial thought was the alloy on the actual peg had worn away and was causing the problem, but upon fitting a new peg, it seems the actual mount is probably worn.
Has anyone had this problem before, maybe its a case of having a little weld made, then file it down until the correct level is made when my foot is on the peg?

seems like after 15 years the metal has worn a little, doesn't need much, so getting a friend to put a little weld on the face and will file it down until the correct angle (horizontal) is reached

Have you tried using locktite on the bolt?

I think its wear on the foot peg mount, that makes it not sit horizontal.

I did ask a local garage to put a spot of weld that I could file down to the correct level so the peg would sit in the right position, but he suggested a two part metal 'weld' that comes in two tubes you mix together, apparently it can be filed, drilled etc, so this may just be the answer, its currently applied, to build it up a couple of millemetres and hardening, so lets see how it goes!

I think its wear on the foot peg mount, that makes it not sit horizontal.

I did ask a local garage to put a spot of weld that I could file down to the correct level so the peg would sit in the right position, but he suggested a two part metal 'weld' that comes in two tubes you mix together, apparently it can be filed, drilled etc, so this may just be the answer, its currently applied, to build it up a couple of millemetres and hardening, so lets see how it goes!

just an update, that two part ''metal'' worked a treat, problem solved and less than a fiver on Amazon!
its not actually holding anything, and basically used a a 'stop' so even if it needs replacing in time, or adding to, then all ok!

Back