free website stats program front engine mount bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

front engine mount bolts

my front engine mount bolts keep snapping off... anyone have the same problem w/their roadking??

You ARE talking about the two that hold the plate to the frame, right? Cause if you are talking about the main bolt that goes through the center of the engine plate and dampener, whoawa! That would be bad. Also, if the bolts you are talking about are the ones that hold the plate to the engine, that is not good.

If you are, in fact, talking about the ones that hold the isolator plate to the frame, I think those are supposed to be grade 8 bolts. But the fact that yours are breaking suggest to me that your isolator is probably shot. I would suggest a new isolator kit which should come with new grade 8 mounting hardware.

If you can't locate it anywhere else, try here:

TRUE-TRACK PURCHASE (#20-92)

or here:

1999 Harley Davidson Motorcycle Parts for FLHR, OEM and Aftermarket at BikeBandit.com

TQ

yes, it's the 2 front bolts that keep breaking,, and yes I'm using grade 8 bolts...
the 1st bump in the road ,,,, they snap... both of them......
I installed a new front motormount last year,, it's not damaged or defective....
I am going to put new swing arm bushings in,,, shortly,,,,
I guess I'll know more when I have everything tore apart....
I'll let you know what I find... the bike has 54k on it right now and is loose as a goose in the corners.... I put 70k on my 96 dresser and never felt anything like this....
thanks for the response...
conrad

Conrad,

You have checked the adjustable link (stabilizer) at the top of the engine (under tank) and it is NOT broken or loose, right? And the plate is all secure to the heads?

The link I sent you from True Track has other stuff they offer. See my response to your swing arm bushing post.

TQ

You may want to have the engine alignment done by a reputable dealer.

Good point. Something is not too BUENO about what you are describing. Poppin' those grade 8s when you hit a bump! Not good. I would find someone you trust to help look at it BEFORE it gets really torn up. You might be too close to it to see the problem.

TQ

Back