free website stats program front brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

front brakes

tommys

2005 road king classic
front brakes seem to being grabing when brakes are applied the front end pulls down then back up several times just like you were letting off the brakes and reappling them.
brakes pads looks like there about half wore out
have had someone tell this is a warped rotor[disk]

agree with smitty, maybe air in the brakes,
I had a warped rotor, it was noisy when hitting the brake lightly, a pulsing noise

If the brakes are not releasing, try cracking the bleeder screws to see if fluid gushes out, if it does you have a sticky caliper or master cylinder, if the rotors are out of round you can check the runout with a dial indicator if you have one

Go with Jack's info. I had the same problem and the front brakes locked up going about 40 mph. Luckily I was able to control the bike, don't wait to fix it and if you can't do it yourself, get to the dealer as it's nothing to mess around with.

Any chance for an 05 to have ABS? That might make the trouble shooting a bit more difficult.

Might want to change the brake fluid out. If DOT 5 (Silicone based), it should have the characteristic purple color. If it is clear or amber in color, it should be changed out. If it is DOT 3 or DOT 4 (Glycol based) it should be light honey color...if dark brown or amber it needs to be changed out. In both cases just use a clear tube and gravity drain it from the master cylinder until clean fluid runs out and you should be good to go. Might also want to try the overnight bungee corded brake lever method to get the last bits out. :s

Bleeding Brakes - Harley Davidson Community

Brake Bleeding Tips - Harley Davidson Community
http://www.hdtimeline.com/brakes_tires_and_wheels/8985-bleeding_brakes.html

2005 road king classic
front brakes seem to being grabing when brakes are applied the front end pulls down then back up several times just like you were letting off the brakes and reappling them.
brakes pads looks like there about half wore out
have had someone tell this is a warped rotor[disk]

Just a question: Have you ever had the brake fluid changed?

Back