free website stats program Front Brake Switch question | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Brake Switch question

kleach

I replaced the levers on my 2009 FLHX. Thought I had followed all the instructions, but alas I had not. Only missed the part about "may damage front brake switch if cardboard in not inserted between lever and bracket before removing". Needles to say the brake switch stayed on all the time after I replaced the levers. I disassembled and noticed that the switch had been pushed back into the housing, so I pushed it back into place replaced the housing and lever, and it seems to have worked. Im a little apprehensive about it moving back. Anyone had this problem before? Thanks:small3d023:

Sounds like you got lucky, did you install the little metal V spacer behind the brake switch inside the housing when you installed?

Kleach, as the others have said, you were lucky and that is a good thng. If you do not shim it, the little nib can be bent and fracture switch guide, while "wrangling" with the m/c housing, lever.

And yes, when disassembling the shell halves, the V copper colored spring clip can drop out of position and even out of sight in the housing or on the floor. All it does is push the switch body towards the nib/lever, otherwise the whole assembly sinks back and your switch won't work. Since everything is working, likely you got it back in or it did not fall out of position...that is good news!

Yep, the little v-clip was still in there. Thank you all for the feedback. Sounds like I may have got it back right. Next time I'll read the shop manuel first....

Yep, the little v-clip was still in there. Thank you all for the feedback. Sounds like I may have got it back right. Next time I'll read the shop manuel first....

Sounds alittle bit like me. I am a do it first kind of person ,then when it does not work I go into the book to see how the story ends. You would think that I would have learned by now.

Back