free website stats program front brake sticking | Harley Davidson Forums

front brake sticking

cdd9807

I have an 06 flhx just did a fluid change with dot 5. Now my front brake is sometimes sticking. Had trouble getting it bled but finally got it.

First off are you sure it uses dot 5.. if you mix fluids you can get the same problem

go back to the dealer and complain .. you now need to totally flush the brake system and start again .. do it soon as the mixture of the 2 even a little left over can create a sludge

You have a problem, dealer is wrong!!! They don't mix. You have to clean the system out and go back to the original brake fluid. The mix turns into little pellet like balls in the system.

yea, that makes sense. hopefully I will be ok, I didnt mix it I used a vac pump to suck out the old and in the new. I'll do the same with the dot 4. Hopefully that will do the trick.

My owners manual says to use DOT 4

What's up with this guy in the video?

YouTube - Motorcycle Maintenance - Top Ten Tech Tips

Push the slider to 8 minute position & listen. "Brakes".

Lots of people are going to be very upset.

Hoop!

That is a relatively old video saying the DOT 5 Silicone type is used primarily...back in 2007 or so it was true! Check type of brake fluid by reading fine print on the reservoir cap, then double check in your owners manual or service manual to be sure!!! :s

All the more reason to check, especially newer baggers or bikes that have the ABS option, which is DOT 4 Ethylene Glycol type.

But the member who started the thread said he has an 06 Bike. So if the movie was made in 07, the host is saying to use DOT 5 in an 06. ??
I have an 2009 and it says to use DOT 4.

Not a biggie & I am probably reading too deep into it.

Hoop!

Back