free website stats program Front Brake Soft | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Brake Soft

Joe2007ultra

Some of you might have read my Posts going back to Oct of 09. My Brand new 2010 Ultra has had a soft front brake lever since the day I bought it.
After 4 trips to the dealer and only a slight improvement. I finally took it into my own hands and figured out what was going on.

The right front brake caliper has 4 pistons well only 3 of them are working, One is frozen. Go figure, took about 20 min to find it, I think the dealer had the bike for a total of 9 days trying to fix this.

When they tell you its fixed and you know it is not keep looking!!

And we pay these dealers a lot of money because they have "trained" technicians.:D

Glad you found the problem.

The right front brake caliper has 4 pistons well only 3 of them are working, One is frozen. Go figure, took about 20 min to find it, I think the dealer had the bike for a total of 9 days trying to fix this.

Great work Joe. So is it repaired or are you working on it now. More details on how you fixed it and what was keeping it from working. Was caliper damaged?

Great work Joe. So is it repaired or are you working on it now. More details on how you fixed it and what was keeping it from working. Was caliper damaged?
I have ABS so didn't want to open the hyd system. So what I did was clean the exposed portion of the stuck piston and compressed it with a c clamp. I was able to get it to move a little after I compressed it. Held the other 3 pistons with c clamps and pumped the stuck one out again. Then I used a cannon plug pliers ( they have soft rubber grips) and rotated the piston. Then compressed and pumped it a couple of times.
Put it all back together and it is the best it has ever been since I bought the bike.

Called the dealer and told them I will be there today for a new caliper!!!

That is Awesome Joe. I love to hear stories like that. Be ready with what to say when you go to the dealership for your new caliper. They may offer you a Job.:p

Thanks Hoople. I must admit that I keyed in on the calipers because I read some old posts on here about people that had similar problems. This is a great web site, The dealers should be here reading at night!

As long as they don't try to tell you "they all do that" you should be OK.:D
Im sick of that they all do that line!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem you now have Joe is they may say " Wow, you fixed it. Seems to be working Great now! So there's No point in us taking it apart and possibly making it any worse.. Just go & Enjoy your ride.!"

(Mark the caliper with some clear nail polish before you go)

Back