free website stats program Front brake problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake problem

Hi, my 2 post here:) I have a 93 sportster. The brake kaliper are making sounds that resembles nails inn a tincan when I hit bumps in the road. Is this normal? It makes the same noise if I hit it. The bolts are tight.

The floating pad in the calliper is held in place on a floating frame by a spring clip
if the pad is not fitted in the frame correctly with the spring holding the pad in place then the frame and pad can rattle around a wee bit

Brian

The floating pad in the calliper is held in place on a floating frame by a spring clip
if the pad is not fitted in the frame correctly with the spring holding the pad in place then the frame and pad can rattle around a wee bit

Brian

Thank you. Can I stil ride it? Its going to rain for 5 days after tomorrow so I want to ride and not fix the bike tomorrow:/

Your choice on that one
take out 2 bolts and the calliper is off takes a few minutes to check
if it were mine and i wanted to ride in the morning i would be out in the shed at this time pulling the calliper off to check

Brian

Your choice on that one
take out 2 bolts and the calliper is off takes a few minutes to check
if it were mine and i wanted to ride in the morning i would be out in the shed at this time pulling the calliper off to check

Brian

Only problem is that I dont have the right tools, only metric. And its almost midnight here so the shops are closed:( Got the bike 2 days ago:) But I will try and get tools in the morning then. Ty

went out to shed 8mm allen key will fit the front calliper bolts so if you have one of those you will get the calliper off for a quick check

Brian

If you first apply pressure to the calliper and push toward the brake disc this should push the piston back into the calliper a wee bit and give sufficient clearance to allow it to come off once the bolts are out

Brian

It took me a while to figure out the spring clip and how it woks with the pad removed from the frame the spring clip should be fitted to the top centre of the frame with the spring arm pointing toward where the fixed pad is if fitted in the calliper
place the lower part of the pad in the frame with the pad backing plate against the spring arm
if you then push the top of the pad toward the frame the arm of the spring will bend back and allow the top extension of the pad to fit into the frame a small lip on the end of the arm will stop the pad from going too far back
so the spring sits on the inside of the frame pushing down on the pad

when fitting the frame back into the calliper ensure that the rivet on the frame extension where the bolt goes through sits in one of the 3 cut outs on the calliper part
it will make sense when you have all the bits in your hands

Brian

Back