free website stats program Front Brake Disc | Harley Davidson Forums

Front Brake Disc

Dswartz

The front brake disc on my 02 Dyna Super glide is warped. I have ordered a replacement rotor and will be installing it when it arrives. My question is the service manual calls for applying loctite for the 5 bolts holding the REAR disc but not for the front disc. Should I go ahead and apply the loctite anyway? Is there a specific reason why the manual doesn't specify using it on the front disc?

My service manual (2009 Dyna) says to discard any brake rotor screws that were removed. Maybe the New replacement screws already come with the dried micro-bubble Locktite already applied. Don't know for sure but a possibility.

You can always use new bolts. But i do not see any value add in using the new ones. I would always use lock-tite. The biggest problems i see is getting the screws out. Just changed my "wrapped" discs by floating discs. Less noice and better grip. Hopefully the do not get wrapped.

My service manual (2009 Dyna) says to discard any brake rotor screws that were removed. Maybe the New replacement screws already come with the dried micro-bubble Locktite already applied. Don't know for sure but a possibility.
This is probably the case, but they should still tell you to use loctite as some people will not buy new fasteners.

but they should still tell you to use loctite as some people will not buy new fasteners.

Not true. You are forgetting who the manual was written for. The manual was NOT written for the weekend "do it your self guy". It was written for the HD authorized service centers. Notice how they always reference tools that you and I can Not buy from SPX. That is not just a coincidence.
HD is really being nice by publishing the same manual the service centers use. If it was an HP, IBM, or BMW product,,, well sorry they don't release the SAME manuals to the public.

The rules of repair of how the MoCo wants their products repaired is spelled out. If the mechanic takes short cuts, that is his choice.

Spot on Hoopie.

The screws are not to be reused and the new ones (actually included with the rotors by HD) come with a patch of locktite on them.

You can always use new bolts. But i do not see any value add in using the new ones. I would always use lock-tite. The biggest problems i see is getting the screws out. Just changed my "wrapped" discs by floating discs. Less noice and better grip. Hopefully the do not get wrapped.

The manual probably has you replace them for safety/liability issues. The last thing you want is for a front rotor to shear off.

A new set of rotors comes with new screws so why not use them? Even if you had to buy them they are only about $10 for 5 of them. Not too expensive for some piece of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Brakes, never reuse the bolts, they are torque prevaling and not meant to be reused, its your safety:s

Thanks for all the good feedback. Yes, I know the new rotors come with new bolts so I was planning on using them anyway. I just wasn't sure if they had loctite on them or not. It sounds like they do so I will just install them dry and see what happens.

Back