free website stats program Front brake caliper? | Harley Davidson Forums

Front brake caliper?

Scruffman

I have brake noise from the front caliper, when wheel is free rolling in hear the scraping sound.when brake handle is lightly squeezed it's silent? Now I have recently replaced the front wheel.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Stock HD brakes do not have spring retraction. When you apply the brakes, then release them, eccentricities in the disc are what push the shoes back. Stock shoes do tend to sing a bit, as they float on the surface of the disc. My Lyndall Z-Plus pads sing less, and produce almost no dust.

It could be that you have a slight baked-on dust accumulation ridge on your pistons that hinders retraction. Such can be cleaned off.

Enjoy,
rich P

If you jack the front wheel off the ground, spin the tire and get a consistent but not constant rubbing sound, it is probably a slightly warped disc. That happen with the solid discs pretty often and as long as not severe, is not really any more than a minor irritation.
If it is a constant sound the same as the wheel turns, it may mean your calipers are probably pretty dirty with road/brake dust and not easing off the discs when the brake handle is released. Try cleaning them with brake cleaner spray and an old shoelace as described in some of the posts is this section of the self-help pages:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/forums/brakes-tires-and-wheels.75/

But even this is not really a problem as long as it is not binding to the point where the brakes drag hard and the tire will not rotate fairly freely when the front wheel is jacked off the ground. If that is the case, it is time to rebuild the caliper(s).

Cheers,

TQ

Clean and lube the caliper pins and re toque ALL fasteners
Apply some dielectric grease to the back plates of NEW pads so they do not squeak, chamfer the ends to an angle
Install clean no grease or finger prints on pad surface, A lil trick I taught is rub the pads on a clean concrete surface in a circular motion before install
This will seat the pads quicker
Avoid panic stops for 100 miles

I wouldn't apply Dielectric grease- it's qualities are electrical as opposed to mechanical.

My understanding is that one should use a slight dab of copper grease and then smear it over the the backs of the pads.This stuff has a high melting point, is waterproof and is a common solution to squealing/chattering brake pads. It stops them rattling about against the backing plates/shims.

By the way, do you have drilled discs? They can make a swishing or whirring noise as they rotate and pass through the calipers and brake pistons.

The answers about binding pistons through grit and grime build up are spot on, as is the reply that said if the wheel is still moving freely(relatively), then all's ok.If you can't move it then that a different story.
All disc brakes work with the pads keeping slight contact against the discs - it IS a good idea to clean the pistons and rubber boots to remove sand and grit and other stuff.

Back