free website stats program front axle adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

front axle adjustment

zoood

Product Contributor
Took the trike out for a test ride today. Man am I ever use to two wheels. Even when I stopped the trike. I found myself trying to set the kick stand.

The steering needed tightening. Did the neck. I have a 21" wheel and have a question.

Is there a must do procedure for tightening up that front axle? The end of the axle that has that hole through it. I have used a screw driver in there to hold the axle, while tightened the nut. Is that hole for holding the axle like I did. Or does it have another function. Like maybe for insertion of a suitable bar or rod that will prevent the axle from being pulled through too far.
When riding. it feels like the wheel has play. But most noticeable when pavement steers. I believe it calls for 40 ft lbs. This is on a 93 EGC front end.

zoood

The hole is basically to hold the axle from turning when you tighten the nut.

Some measure the distance between the fork tube clamp and the axle hole but I use this method that seeks it's own plane which I feel is a bit better to get the fork legs parallel to each other for a better ride and function. It's a bit more work on a trike.

Front Axle Installation Tip - Harley Davidson Community

Will this alignment, as suggested in the axle installation also apply to the front brake discs? Meaning, I have the polished SS dual discs. I have the organic pads on as well. I went through both calipers and did everything required. Should the discs get ware looks or are they suppose to stay as a nice finish?

zoood

Some measure the distance between the fork tube clamp and the axle hole but I use this method that seeks it's own plane which I feel is a bit better to get the fork legs parallel to each other for a better ride and function. It's a bit more work on a trike.

Will this alignment, as suggested in the axle installation also apply to the front brake discs? Meaning, I have the polished SS dual discs. I have the organic pads on as well. I went through both calipers and did everything required. Should the discs get ware looks or are they suppose to stay as a nice finish?

zoood

The rotors are wheel mounted and any discrepancies between those and the brake pads are corrected with the mounting positions of the calipers and the fork alignment should have no bearing on that.
The discs will get a wear pattern in the area where the pads rub and depending on the pads used that will determine how much and how pronounced it will get.

It's a bit more work on a trike. ? Whys that?

It's a bit more work on a trike. ? Whys that?

Because of this part...

"With the wheel butted against something solid (wall, garage door, cabinet...) repeatedly pump the front end up and down as far and fast as you can both pushing and lifting on the handlebar at least half a dozen times".

The trike is a bit more to push around than a two wheeled bike.

Ok, thank you,... Im headin out to the shop to apply what you suggested.

RJ

Is there a must do procedure for tightening up that front axle? The end of the axle that has that hole through it. I have used a screw driver in there to hold the axle, while tightened the nut. Is that hole for holding the axle like I did. Or does it have another function. Like maybe for insertion of a suitable bar or rod that will prevent the axle from being pulled through too far.

On my '91 Dyna, the book indicates that the hole in the axle is to keep it from turning while torquing the axle nut to 50-55 ft-lbs. On my '03 UC, the book indicates the axle should be inserted and the nut torque to 50-55 ft-lbs while keeping the axle from turning with something through the hole in the axle. Then a 7/16" drill bit is to be inserted in the hole and the fork moved until the bit just contacts the fork. Then the axle holder nuts are torqued to 132-180 in-lbs.

So it depends on what YOUR manual says to do!!

TQ

Back